Which Belter Album Could Banish Genre Prejudice?

I’m not sure it is a genre per say, but possibly from the type of music that for me qualifies as “wtf” is that would be Manu Delago, Hang percussion up a mountain, sounds like a recipe for disaster but I love this album.

Following this I’ve bought a few more of his and really enjoy his stuff, real escapism.

Like you Nigel I never had much time for country but certainly Alison Krauss has made a dent in that preconception. So I’ll definitely be giving your recommendation a listen, thanks.

One genre that I’ve never been able to comprehend is thrash metal, don’t get it at all.

2 Likes

Try a listen through of ‘Grit’ by the late, great Martyn Bennett . Several traditions of Scottish music melded with a 21st century production and beat. Mixes folk and bagpipes - what greater challenge could you ask for? A sad loss due to cancer. I saw a documentary about the making of the album and it was fascinating to hear a very traditional singer (you’ll hear her on Blackbird if you listen to the album) push him to be even more radical with the presentation of the music. Not what I expected.

All sorts of things I once thought I took a dislike to. This album blows all that out the window.

4 Likes

Skerryvore - saw them live a few years back, fantastic fun. I’d not considered wearing a kilt before (with my legs?) … but I do now!
Bought a cd on the night.

@NigelB

What an EXELLENT thread. Superb idea …I will start doing some listening.

If ANYONE can manage to get me to like rap or garage then I will be impressed, but willing to give it a go :wink:

M

1 Like

Massive Attack - Protection. A couple of years ago in a gap between lockdowns a good friend of mine and I were chilling with glasses of wine and taking it in turns to play songs we didn’t think the other would know. She tried me with a track from this, the whole club scene had passed me by, I was a season ticket holder at English National Opera and a regular at Cropredy Festival, and just didn’t give it a try. I was wowed from the first few bars of the title track, and have been exploring ever since. ( She told me she thought it was worth a try because of Tracey Thorn’s vocals.) A few days later I tried Mezzanine and I suspect that would be an even better introduction.

9 Likes

Great question!

As a tentative introduction to some great US country music lacking bankers in Stetsons, lazy racism and rhinestones, I’d suggest The Trinity Sessions by the Cowboy Junkies, plus The Texas Campfire Tapes and Short, Sharp Shocked. It may not lead inexorably to Hank Williams or anything hardcore, but at worst you get to listen to some great music, irrespective of genre. Or just play Cash’s cover of Personal Jesus quite loudly.

Rap is harder for me (and so it probably should be for a 57-year old white Englishman) but we can start at the beginning with The Revolution Will Not Be Televised. It’s not too many steps from there to NWA.

Any garage or drill suggestions?

2 Likes

Great thread! I enjoy J Hus a British rapper , said to be Afro-Swing. His poetic lyrics are remarkable. Common Sense and Big Conspiracy are his albums, with a new one recording now. He’s from East London, there’s some Gambian words in his vocabulary. Talented, let’s hope he can stay safe and out of trouble.

1 Like

Ambitious thread it’s like persuading a Tory voter to vote Labour (maybe not so unrealistic in present political climate)…

Yes, it is asking a lot.

Never thought much of country music until I heard " The River & the Thread " from Rosanne Cash. Excellent songs and superbly recorded on Blue Note.

Folk? Sandy Denny, Live at the BBC. My wife who does listen to folk since living with me, confessed she hated the voice of Sandy, so perhaps more of a marmite voice than I’d thought.
R-4638792-1383413662-7670

1 Like

Great thread Nigel, a friend of mine and I were only saying the other week that we reject categories. Of course music is far more multi-dimensional than many recognise Bach not only left a footprint for the next 250 years and is everywhere including crucially the Beatles. Mozart although formulaic in his early years broke free towards the end and liked experimenting with newer instruments to the point that on his last orchestral work, the Clarinet Concerto, leaves perhaps the very earliest traces of jazz. Ravel and Stravinsky are deeply in Miles Davis etc. The blues I’ve never considered a genre in itself but more a musical form that informs jazz, rock and popular music in general. And then there’s the crossovers between rock, country, folk, americana etc. Prog I’m generally not a fan but they were attempting to encompass classical music. And Coltrane was perhaps the key exponent of hard bop but by the time we got Love Supreme debatable whether it was jazz at all. Massive Attack adopted the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and then there’s Zappa! But the question answered 3 suggestions Nigel:

Edit: I can’t remember who but a critic once said that Miles was the first rock star.

Good insights LindsayM. I have often thought that if Mozart were to pop back into being today, he would be vacuuming up Brubeck, and Contrane, and others, but not so much current classical and definitely not pop. If you want to explore Jazz, then later Mozart and Stravinsky might be good stepping stones.

2 Likes

I’m not sure any album could ever overcome my visceral loathing of Irish and Scottish folk music, with the former’s wearisome jauntiness mixed with belligerent self-pity and the latter’s hideous, wheezing bagpipe bombast… but I’m open to suggestions.

And before anyone accuses me of prejudice, I hate English folk music just as much, in all its real ale beardy tweeness.

5 Likes

Problem with folk music is that it’s so depressing “the land is parched, we’re all going to die…….”

Shell, Esso, BP, Black & Decker, Makita, Bosch…

4 Likes

@TheKevster

So that’s a no then, Kev?

1 Like

The Horror... | Apocalypse, Marlon brando, Apocalypse now redux

1 Like

Try Niteworks, from Skye, mix of bagpipes, Gaelic songs and techno, you’ll be ordering your McKevster kilt in no time.

1 Like