Which Belter Album Could Banish Genre Prejudice?

OK I will give them a go on Tidal later…

2 Likes

Also Elephant Sessions, alas no bagpipes, folk, funk, rock and electronica, worth a spin on tidal.

Ah, it’s a haggis before they remove the legs.

5 Likes

Thread probably not going as the OP intended😬

3 Likes

Isn’t that one of the joys of the internet?

4 Likes

I struggle with a lot of modern jazz. Too many notes and too much discord, but this is simply stunning.

I think it’s the touch of swing that does it for me.

1 Like

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto.
For many years I loathed their bland pop, formulaic, anthem hits. Then I heard ‘Paradise’ and quite liked it. My wife bought me the album as a joke … but ive played it ever since and grown to accept them as a good band.
Still prejudiced against bland pop, but if pressed now admit I (quite) like Coldplay.

I bought my first Naim amp when I was a 23yrs old, whilst at the dealers listening to equipment in my budget he played a CD from an artist I’d never heard of, a genre I’d never thought I’d enjoy. After all I was 23, growing up in Manchester in the 80’s I was into New Order, The Clash etc.
I was blown away by it and it changed my musical taste for ever.

6 Likes

This is probably not the thread to discuss what folk is at length, but…

1. Does it have to be short songs by English/ British/ British or Irish people whose creators were called 'Trad"?

2. If we include bluegrass and traditional music from France or North Africa, do we have to include Jaques Brel, Joan Baez and Billy Bragg?

If we all save time by using a fairly hardcore version of ‘I know it when I hear it’ definition of folk, then I’d suggest that June Tabor, Bert Jansch, Karin Polwart and Eliza Carthy could all be ear-opening to non-folk-ists.

4 Likes

Absolutely right Sir!
McCartney has openly admitted on a number of occasions how much Bach influenced some of his Beatles compositions.

2 Likes

If you are looking for an easy entry (and exit) to bagpipe music, may I recommend the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.
You’re welcome.

3 Likes

For years I missed out but no longer…

1 Like

I gave it [their latest album] a go, but I had to stop after 10 minutes. It was just horrible.

1 Like

Well in the spirit of the thread at least you tried.

1 Like

Nope, not buying that, cannot understand the Bubble in any shape or form, better man than me you are.

2 Likes

Thought I’d be brave and try this this eve. Whilst not as horrific as a lot of jazz, it left me completely cold. If that is a belter of an introduction to jazz, I am clearly missing nothing in my avoidance of the genre…

Only depressing if that is your nature! Whilst I don’t listen to much folk music, I have quite a few prog rock albums on such a theme - and I find them cathartic and uplifting!

And what is it with bagpipes? They are instruments, not a genre! Some music with Scottish bagpipes sounds good (though I’m not sure if I have anything in my collection), while I think Uilleann pipes have a beautiful sound, and I certainly have a sprinkling of albums on which they feature.

Not a jazz album! But a fine Urban Soul or R&B effort that really turned me on was Frank Ocean’s “Channel ORANGE”
I suspect many members here have a bit of antipathy to this genre. But you might want to give this a try.
The lyrics, harmonies, and soudscape all gel into a wonderfully immersive whole. And yes, there are synthesisers, vocorders and pop effects.
An album I regularly play in full.

1 Like

I got turned over to liking some Country music a lomg time ago, but I’m particular. Something about The Marshall Tucker Band I really like, especially the album Green Grass High Tides. It’s very country, but a nice listen.
Of course, Commander Cody, and The Outlaws are excellent, but they’re both more country rock. Even Linda’s - Heart Like a Wheel has a few real country tunes on it and Eagles can be very country at times.
But yeah, Marshall Tucker was the eye-opener for me …

1 Like