Which Belter Album Could Banish Genre Prejudice?

I’m sure that this is old news to you all, but to get from rock to classical (broad sense of the word) try Bach, Brandenburg Concertos.

2 Likes

I’m with you @NigelB, great post. I had no previous interest in country music. I got more involved recently via various circuitous routes - but it really started with John Prine (the John Prine album specifically - following his demise unfortunately), now that may not be pure country but led me to Kacey Musgrave (Golden Hour), Gillian Welch (Time The Revelator - listen for the excellent guitar sound by David Rawlings on a 1935 Epiphone Olympic), Nanci Griffith (One Fair Summer Evening, live at a state fair) . All worth a listen if not already known, even if not all ‘pure’ country.

I’ve added Chris Stapleton and Miranda Lambert to my playlist, as always music is a journey of a lifetime.

5 Likes

Have read this far to find myself just beaten to the punch with Gillian Welch’s Time (The Revelator). Before this album i couldnt stand Country and Western, but it has become a gateway drug to a massive genre.
My only complaint is that it still isn’t on vinyl.

2 Likes

Is that every sub genre of jazz, rather a broad range if it is. I would tend to agree with you for rap and soul, except a little voice inside my head is telling me that would be wrong.

Hands by Dave Holland and Pepe Habichuela. A wonderful instrumental album, though it has not persuaded me to search out a great deal of other flamenco.

I can’t answer that as I have no idea if I’ve heard all sub-genres of jazz. And of course it is not inconceivable that there could be odd things I’d like even if I don’t like the bulk of any given genre, jazz or other. I do find that the mire a piece of music becomes jazzy (to me), the less I like it, though it is hard to put a dividing line as to where, say, rock drifting into jazz-rock id a drift too far.

But it is irrelevant really: if I find that I don’t like much of the jazz I’ve heard, and some so unpleasant that I cannot stand hearing it at all, why would I want to try to find if there is some odd piece or even sub-genre that I do like? There is so much other music that I find enjoyable, that it seems pointless to bother trying to find an exception, all the more so if it means having to hear lots of other unenjoyable or unpleasant music in the process. Havi g said that. I am willing occasionally, as with the St Germain album, to try something that has been highlighted as in some way particularly likely to be enjoyed by people not normally liking a genre.

1 Like

I am no folk fan, nor Irish folk for that matter, but this falls into the belter category imo.

2 Likes

Loving Chris Stapleton. Quite a bit of blues and soul in there. Thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

Don’t you just love it when you make a new discovery!

1 Like

Close, but here’s the answer.

1 Like

I am liking The Ollam, very much.

My feet are a blur!

Thanks for highlighting it.

1 Like

Hard Rock/Heavy Metal

Not my favourite genre but Rush moving pictures is just a fantastic album. Give it go…

4 Likes

The Ollliam are new to me and I thank you! You might enjoy Lúnasa which John McSherry played in. I think if you are open to the low whistle and uillean pipes mixed in with drums and guitar then you might be interested in a variety of contemporary Irish-American folk (-ish). I can’t hear a fiddle on this one though, wonder if that puts you off folk?

1 Like

Will give it a whirl.

Glad you like The Olllam (3Ls, no i). I think I got into them through the band Vulfpeck. The bassist Joe Dart is the fourth member of the trio, and for some reason isn’t credited on the album. Tyler Duncan, who is credited, produced Vulfpeck.

1 Like

Thanks agin, I’ve never heard Vulfpeck, but will give them a listen tomorrow.

This album introduced me to jazz. Naively, before this, I assumed everything sounded like jazz club on the fast show. Thanks to this, I’ve discovered Matthew Halsall, Mammal Hands, Espen Eriksen, Sons of Kemet, The Bad Plus, Manu Katche and Ashley Henry.

2 Likes

Traveller is a great album and Chris Stapleton is a great songwriter and artist - do some digging to discover some of the artists who have performed his songs.

I heard this record before it was released and it became a pet project of mine. As a result NZ was on of the most successful territories for the album (outside of the USA of course). He’s released two (or three if you count #2 as two separate albums) since then. All are pretty good, especially “Starting Over.”

2 Likes

Two bands/ Albums that introduced me to a genre that covers Western Africa / Moroccan / Desert Blues. One band led to the other.

First came an extremely talented artist, Driss El Maloumi with his album Makan. This was probably the first Roon introduced Traditional Moroccan music album. It’s as if he was born with an Oud in his hands, the emotion he conveys is incredible. I’ve found a couple of his albums and both are fantastic.

This led to a Roon link to what is now one of my favourite bands. Tinariwen, a Tuareg Nomad band that play what is described as Desert Blues with some terrific guitar riffs. I’ve worked through all their albums so far and really enjoyed them.

Both of these took me right back to my time in the Moroccan Atlas Mountains on a climbing trip… just a short trip away from the Sahara desert.

This may not be everyone’s cup of tea but… I think if anyone can bring people to the genre, these two groups can! Hope you enjoy!

8 Likes

What a great thread. I spent my 20s listening to and liking only house music. Meeting my partner slowly started to broaden my horizons into indie. Which is where my musical tastes lodged for 10 years or so. My 40s seem to be ending with a pretty major broadening of tastes, I have to say fostered in no small part by this forum, and starting up with streaming.

• Portico Quartet was my gateway drug into some veins of jazz
  • Asian Dub Foundation took me into electronic/dub that I hadn’t previously ventured into, their stuff is interestingly recorded - seems more of a performance than a lot of electronic music - if you buy from their label on Bandcamp they send you stickers too!!
  • Sault (rhythm and blues, house and disco) deserve a very honourable mention as a thoroughly inventive group/collective. And their latest album, Air, is simply astonishing in the context of their previous albums, listen to at least one previous albums of theirs before Air. Their first, Five, is a cracker.
  • Reprise by Moby is either a great introduction to the artist for a classically instrumental diehard, or an introduction to classical instrumentation for an electronic music diehard!
  • The Thieves Banquet by Akala is an amazing rap piece, the lyrics are, well, just listen
  • The Overload by Yard Act is a fun British rock piece, great lyrics
4 Likes

Thanks for the Akala recommendation. It’s great.

1 Like