Which ECM titles?

If you do downloads -prestomusic has ‘Dawn Dance’ for little money C$7.50 (about GBP4.40)

1 Like

£11.97 (FLAC) on my version of ‘prestomusic’ website ?

1 Like

weird - I am outside the UK
https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/search?search_query=steve+eliovson

Mine too.
It’s free to listen to on spotify, I think, in lo res.

@Ian many thanks for the Prestomusic site details - not quite the same price in the UK but their overall catalogue seems to beat Qobuz on pricing - nice one thanks.

1 Like

War Orphans is one of my favorite tracks on ECM, by Bobo Stenson inc. the unique talent of Jon Christensen.

“Jon’s creative, malleable style, with detailed cymbal-play and rolling, flowing drums – he spoke often about playing in waves, about colouration, about phrasing like a horn player…”

Jon Christensen (1943-2020)

Dear friends of ECM,

Sad news earlier this week. The great Norwegian drummer Jon Christensen who contributed to dozens of ECM recordings is no longer with us. His music however, will stay. We look back at his impressive catalogue in this week’s special offer.

As a young self-taught player, Jon honed his craft working at Oslo’s clubs with a long list of visiting American stars, beginning with Bud Powell and including Don Ellis, Ben Webster, Stan Getz, Kenny Dorham and Dexter Gordon. Dexter famously encouraged Jon to have faith in his own creativity: “You’re not from Harlem, and you’re 20 years old – play how you feel!”

By the mid-1960s Jon was working regularly with George Russell and making important contributions to a burgeoning new jazz movement gathering momentum in Norway, alongside Jan Garbarek, Terje Rypdal and Arild Andersen. Afric Pepperbird announced their arrival at ECM in 1970. It was the first of around seventy albums with Christensen for the label. Jon’s creative, malleable style, with detailed cymbal-play and rolling, flowing drums – he spoke often about playing in waves, about colouration, about phrasing like a horn player – could adapt itself to the most diverse contexts. From Ralph Towner’s Solstice to the Charles Lloyd Quartet, from the Enrico Rava Quartet to Ketil Bjørnstad’s The Sea, from the Bobo Stenson Trio to Anouar Brahem’s Khomsa, from the Masqualero group to duets with Dino Saluzzi, the Christensen discography is an enduring testament to creative participation and deep listening. A great team player, Jon had no band-leading ambitions and there is just one album under his name on ECM, an anthology in the :rarum series of Selected Recordings. Here Jon chose to emphasize his recordings with Keith Jarrett, selections drawn from the albums Belonging, My Song and Personal Mountains. His last recording for ECM was Returnings, with Jakob Bro, Palle Mikkelborg and Thomas Morgan, released in 2018.

Best wishes,
ECM Records

Special Offer

Please find a selection of Jon’s works on ECM in our current special offer.

2 Likes

not to go of topic but what is your first choice?

I’d say I have two first choices :wink:

The first one would be :

and the second one :

Unfortunately, Beyer’s violin sounds so “sour”, or the recording so poor, for some particular bars, that I hardly listen to that wonderful interpretation.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I will start a topic on this as not to derail the thread.

Not for the faint hearted. One from the more challenging free jazz style.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.