Which ECM titles?

This album contains Speigel Im Speigel a beautiful piece of music that provides the backdrop to the little seen 2002 Gus Van Sant film ‘Gerry’ starring Matt Damon and Casey Affleck.

I say little seen certainly in my household as my kids hate it with a passion. Oh Dad not Gerry please no not that!

4 Likes

In case you haven’t noticed the thread about it, Lyle Mays has passed…

https://www.patmetheny.com/news/full_display.cfm?id=137

Steve Kuhn - Ecstasy. Nice recording (1974).

4 Likes

… a couple of more which I enjoy.

The Declaration Of Musical Independence

Lebroba

I first listened to these two albums as I love Bill Frisell and his work. Both albums are worth your time to take out for a spin, some very fine music. …and of course, these albums in turn lead me to other albums from Andrew and Waddada. The fantastic circle of life, one musician leads to another…

2 Likes

Lebroba is a great album. I need to hear Declaration…

1 Like

Great album, thanks !

1 Like

ECM have recorded a lot of Arvo Part works. Hauntingly atmospheric music that is very sparsely ornamented. “Tabula Rasa” is good place to start. So much good stuff on ECM.

2 Likes

Gary Peacock Trio - Now This (recorded in 2014)

6 Likes

Gary Peacock Trio - Tangents (recorded in 2016)

4 Likes

Nils Petter Molvaer - Khmer

Paul Motian Trio - Le Voyage

I just found I own most of the mentioned records …

5 Likes

Khmer is very good :+1:

1 Like

I love those Gary Peacock albums (Now This and Tangents). The music is great and Gary’s performance is at his best.

1 Like

I found this 2019 release recently and it’s bizarrely brilliant:

My daughter described (not inaccurately, in my opinion) the track Ritus as ‘the sort of music you’d use to be inducted into a cult’. It’s not often you hear the combination of harpsichord, jew’s harp and overtone singing - possibly with good reason.

The singer (Anna-Maria Hafele) has done some videos of her overtone singing technique on YouTube. Not only is she astonishingly talented, but the comments about how weird overtone singing sounds are very entertaining too.

Mark

Tomasz Stańko - Dark Eyes. At times I feel like I am floating…!

1 Like

Tomasz Stańko Quartet - Lontano. Recorded in 2005.

3 Likes

Beautiful album I received my copy as a secret Santa present in 2007 - not a bad gift and might have had something to do with the fact that we a very nice Polish girl in the office.

2 Likes

Hard to pick up but I would thoroughly recommend this.

Guitar palying of the highest quality.

By the way it is his one and only album.

Steve who was from SA was due to record a second album in NY apparently and broke his leg which meant he couldn’t get around. One day he just left everything guitar included behind and flew home. No one is sure what he is currently doing but there has apprently been some reports of him farming in SA.

Huge talent.

2 Likes

Wow what an interesting story and wow what a difficult album to find (at a reasonable price)!

£17-40?

1 Like

Available on Qobuz £13.49

1 Like