Which four box system would you choose?

NDX2
XPS DR
MF Nu-Vista pre
MF A300cr power with JS Audio “upgrades”

Hold on, is that not five boxes?..

Doesn’t a 282 require half a box though if run off a 250?

1 Like

Doesn’t it need two supplies if using a 250?

e.g. HiCap + NAPSC ?

It does indeed, hence why the suggested combination doesn’t qualify for consideration as a 4 box system. 4.6 maybe.

ND555
555PS
SN3 as Pre
250DR

Adding a 250DR to the SN3 would make speaker pairing much more flexible. I added a 250DR to my SN2 when I had ATC SCM19’s . It made a significant difference. I’d imagine the Pre section on the SN3 has been improved further still . Otherwise I’d go with 4.6 boxes .

3 Likes

Mebbee, but with 272s going for about 2½ now and a 555PS about 7 that’s 9½ + 8 for the amp, so 17½ to 18, with a nice balance of cracking front end and judging by the 250 v 300 thread, one of the best amps around before you go stratospheric.

A great front end, and a solid amp. 4 boxes where the only drawback is the older streaming tech, but it has trivial workarounds.

i’ve actually
naim supernait 3
nds555 luth 555 dr
with md1 or sl2 great comboIMG_4474

1 Like

or 555 with nait1 very very good with xulyde md1 from a french factory : great speakers like naim sl2

Where have I seen that speaker design before? It looks familiar…

272 is a much better pre combined with the 250DR. I have done this path already and it’s also cheaper going with 272.

here french naim forum : speakers by eddy lux inspired by sl2 and sbl and all of great speakers from naim
very very good with naim : especially supernait 3 and nait 1
i’ve black system with 552 but in this little room : it’s very very good

Agree with everything Harry says here, which had led me to ND555/555PSDR/552/552PS/250DR.

Considering the OP already has the ND555, and it would be a real shame to downgrade the source, my system is worthy of consideration, if you are of the source first persuasion and if you select speakers the 250DR can properly drive. The ND555/552 really is a sublime combination, and they are made for each other, IMO.

The only problem is that this is 5 boxes, not four, but I really can’t see any 4-box solutions that would come anywhere near this 5-boxer for sheer SQ, again IMO.

3 Likes

Possibly but that’s missing the point of the thread as the OP has an ND555 and I was thinking current products.

You can put hicap and xps under the Fraim…little boxes

NAPSC, maybe. Not the other PSUs.

You are right. The hicap must stay on the rack, after reflection.

It would be very timely for Naim to announce a two box Nait 500 around now. :grin:

I’d say they are more like a Naim Credo rather than a SL2 or SBL?

yes sl2 is a fantastic speaker , better than a sbl for me
naim credo is very good with little amplifier than a nait 2 or 3 but with a supernait 3
the xulyde md1 is based on a naim speakers like the sl2 or sbl
they are closed like sbl
for me it’s a great speakers and fantastic with naim : they are designed for naim like neat or kudos by example

Unless you’re going outside Naim, you won’t achieve the sound quality you have with an all Naim system.

A Supernait 3 with Supercap, ND555 with 555PS could work.

Or keep the ND555 and 555PS and go for Mark Levinson, Luxman, Krell or Vitus integrated.

Go DCS Rossini and Clock with Vitus integrated and move away from Naim completely.

Personally, keep what you have. It’s a wonderful system and will be difficult to beat.

Trouble is with these other systems is that the boxes although fewer are humongous!

3 Likes