Which switch?

I have an NDS so it’s one of the oldies.

Yes… probably best to keep with Ethernet.

1 Like

Why have one, when you can have two :blush:

4 Likes

Why have 2 when you can have (insert number of choice):blush:

1 Like

Totally agree. Great power is key! Maybe not a surprise to most naim users adding all these expensive black voodoo boxes :sunglasses::wink:

1 Like

What do you mean by “optimise themselves for Wi-Fi when not using Ethernet”?

Good question…. The internal windowing mechanism for TCP uses different parameters for wifi compared to Ethernet (or at least it did a few years back) so as to allow optimum flow for the different characteristics of wifi over Ethernet.

My case exactly… :slight_smile: Started with one, added the power supply, added the second, finally added isolators and LUNA power cables. Every step on the way was an improvement.

1 Like

Is powering the EE8 switch with the FS1 an improvement over your previous(I assume) iFi Audio iPower Elite?

Hi, the Ifi Elite powers my TP- link router and has never been used with the 8switch. It was @GraemeH who put me onto using the Silent Angel F1. I have just taken that stage further, by adding a second 8switch, which is also powered from the F1. :blush:

2 Likes

Gotcha! Makes sense. Funny I was thinking about moving my iFi elite to do the same as you, power my router. @GraemeH has been extremely helpful on this matter as well. Sounds like I have a F1 in my near future.

3 Likes

Do let me know what the result is if you do get one.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll get one, it’s just a matter of timing with the Holidays and all. My HiCapDR is scheduled for a service(10 years old) and that’s the priority. I do hope when it’s serviced I’ll have a few “wow” moments…

2 Likes

Hi Marcusman,
The EE8 and F1, to me, works really well into a Naim streamer and dac combination like the ND5XS2.
I’ve not tried with streamer and separate dac, like your set up, but from forum comments this set up deals with conducted noise better (a more scientific person will no doubt correct my definition here but you know what I mean) so benefits may not be as great.
My biggest SQ improvement for smallest outlay was a umik 1 to use REW then apply an inverted convolution filter to correct room mode peaks through Roon (other players that have convolution engines can be used) - I would strongly recommend. If this peaks your interest, pun intended, I can provide more details.
Good luck and best wishes.

1 Like

Thanks Tapp. Yeah with my old speakers I used REW and a boutique vendor named HAF that creates convolution files from my measurements that are imported into ROON. Worked like a charm. I haven’t taken measurements recently has my Proacs sound so damn wonderful as-is. The F1 will likely be my next purchase after my HiCapDr has been serviced. I’ll also start dreaming about what’s new from Naim in the new year.

2 Likes

Today i have, for the first time since running my NDX 2 (nearly three years), have decided to connect the wifi antennae and disconnect my EE 8Switch. Well blow me down, i can’t hear any difference. :flushed:

5 Likes

Maybe a return to full loom Blue Jeans next ? :rofl:

5 Likes

The switch and cables do add their own character, and of course one is free to tailor that character to their own tastes, but dear me, i need to go lay down, i’m feeling a little queasy.

Talk about the Elephant In The Room.

100% agree.

The question Ethernet versus Wifi has been discussed very often in the forum. The vast majority of users prefer Ethernet with Naim streaming components. In my rather simple system, a thoughtful network setup without Wifi has also proven itself. However, the future is probably going in a different direction. @Simon-in-Suffolk has repeatedly pointed out the potential of new WIFi standards (e.g. Click here). It may well be that expensive Ethernet cables and switches will then lose their importance. However, Naim is not yet moving in this direction. Even the new NSC222 uses the current streaming base. It still only supports WIFI5.

1 Like