Which transistor radio do you use?

Some lovely radios I probably own about seven or eight at the moment not counting iRadio compabtable devices. It may sound a lot but at my worst and up until only a few years ago I probably had twenty or more. My favourite non valve transistors where the two Hacker Sovereign II great sound but sold them for silly money over on eBay.

1 Like

Apart from the radios posted above I also own a Bush VHF70

And a Heathkit FM 4U

fm_tuner_fm_4u_184228

2 Likes

You can just see the Heathkit and a Roberts on the top shelf here. They are lovely things radios from a time when music of every type wasn’t instant and had to be hunted down pulling music from the airwaves was quite a magical thing once not too long ago.

I can still remember recording songs from the radio and trying to hit record and stop just at the right time to avoid recording the DJ’s voice and then the incredible tape to tape machines allowing you to editing those recordings.

Mine are all long gone but my other half has a huge bag full of radio mix tapes all recorded from London Pirate radio stations at the end of the 80’s when Reggae music was very popular and House music was exploding.

1 Like

14%20a-500x500

1 Like

This beauty is full size table top and would have been the equivalent of the family HIFI I suppose the noise this thing can produce is incredible. If I was allowed I’d have this in the dining room in everyday use but unfortunately my other half doesn’t feel the same way.

A Tivoli One that must be 25 years old??

And a Cambridge Soundworks thing that’s a bit like a Bose wave radio, that I bought my wife long before we were married (actually probably about a month after meeting her) because she had no music in her home. Our shared love of music has endured! And I still use that thing to listen to baseball and hockey games on the radio, and some news in the morning. It sits in our kitchen.

1 Like

I’m lucky enough to have a braun t1000 (Dieter Rams design) that works- if i could find someone to service it I would have it done - it’s a bit sketchy in use. The “other” portable that I just purchased and also need to get serviced (not too difficult) is a zenith transoceanic 7000. 10+ lbs. of transistor radio history. The zenith transistor was the 1st american portable transistor radio.

That’s a serious radio benjy

Ahh…that Braun styling again, I like it!

1 Like

If we are not including our Naim transistor radios, this is the one I otherwise use the most. Truly global transmission and reception… and can even bounce off the moon, as well as pick up taxi drivers in Russia…

The 7600 is superb, and also offers great automation too.

4 Likes

Roberts radio in the kitchen. Permanently on Radio 4…

3 Likes

This radio and it’s small baby brother came with all over Eastern Europe in the 1990’s. The World Service was a lifeline …

2 Likes

This Roberts from a few years ago lives in the kitchen and does a sterling job of providing a good sound with pause & rewind for the bits that slip by or you really don’t believe someone said that.

1 Like

Whatever happened to putting the tranny on top of the fridge to improve the sound quality? Was it a myth or a acoustic feature of the extr volume of the fridge?

It was the idea of moonbounce that got me interested in amateur radio back in the late 1970s - I remember looking at transmitter designs and even getting some RSGB past papers to check my knowledge, but never followed through with the exam and interest dwindled - I think a combination of lack of resources, what I had focussed on music, and too many other things U wanted to do…

2 Likes

Pocket sized Sony Worldband radio which accompanied me all over the Middle East, Africa and Brazil, and which provided a reliable link to home, wherever I happened to be.

Still working, too. :clap:

3 Likes

Most impressive shot put ever…

1 Like

I cant expand the photo - is that a Yaesu? I remember the FRG7 from my old ham sw days

1 Like

Looks like an ICOM. Some pretty impressive kit around these days.

1 Like

It’s an Icom 7600. I wonder how many radio amateurs we have here amongst the regulars in this audio forum (holds up hand).

Best
David

2 Likes