Which transistor radio do you use?

I’ll hold my hand up too although i’ve not been active for a long time.

Grundig Elite Boy in one room - aerial broke 20 years ago but still sounds brilliant, and a Tivoli Model One somewhere else image|666x500

2 Likes

Got my 2m licence way back in the early 80’s, then qualified as an RO so automatically got the HF licence, never really got up and running on hf though - got distracted by girls and beer! Is HF, or 2m for that matter, still very active these days? Somehow the magic and mystique went out of it when you could call somebody on the other side of the world on a small handheld phone, who would have thought! Always been interested in radio comms though since an early age.

2 Likes

I had a subwoofer cable (loaner from my dealer) that was picking up Russian language speakers in my home a couple of years ago. I have no idea where the ‘broadcasts’ originated however.

2 Likes

It’s an Icom

2 Likes

Surprised not to have seen any of these.

1 Like

I was just in the process of finding a picture when yours popped up! Mine is in walnut finish. This little box is my bedside radio, alarm and bluetooth streamer. Sits neatly on my small bedside table, looks good, has an excellent control system and sounds OK too.

Roger

2 Likes

Too true, in it’s day it was a true who’s who as to owned the t 1000. From German spies to (iirc) Kennedy used one during the Cuban missile crisis. The handle was supposed to make it “portable” - only by godzilla standards. The front cover is missing on mine (not uncommon) as it folds down and takes up more space in front. The zenith is also battleship (overbuilt) design, but that is going to be my outdoor portable.

1 Like

Full licence holder…
However, to be fair, it’s not the radio that truly counts, but the antenna systems, and I am fortunate to have the space and location to allow that…

2 Likes

General Electric 7-2880b

%24_1

A fixture from my childhood as long as I can remember… until my mum went all hifi and put a NAD 402 tuner and Arcam amp in the kitchen and wall mounted Mission speakers.

Never quite the same. Summer meant coming indoors for Ribina and biscuits while Radio 4 was on endless loop on the crappest radio on earth by the kettle.

2 Likes

Several transistor radios in this household, the oldest not shown but consigned to the loft a Roberts Mains model, the Grundig initially used on site, now bathroom and roving, and the bedroom Pure Elan II an inherited radio from parents, and in the Kitchen a Roberts - all tuned to R4 and the World service after R4 shuts up shop at 1am!!

The NAT02 is tuned to R4, occasionally R3.

6 Likes

Oh, that’s very nice…

2 Likes

Thank you…

However needing service any day now…

1 Like

Surely not the first service?
BTW - love the look of your setup.

1 Like

Roberts Stream 93i

and Ruark R1 as clock radio in bedroom

1 Like

Yes the first service since I purchased in the late1980’s.
HICAP was second hand, and the rest ex-dem, I was fortunate with a helpful dealer (no longer trading).

Thank you for the compliment…

2 Likes

If you look closely, the braun has not one, not two, but three telescoping antennas and the ability to add one on the back

1 Like

One dusty raritet, my old National Panasonic with original bag for headphones

3 Likes

Hi… looking at the SW band on that radio, that is quite a range on a single band… and antenna wise you could probably benefit from a high wire 10 to 20 metres long, and an earth connector if the radio has one… to really squeeze the best from it.
S

1 Like