Which whisky are you drinking and why someone else might enjoy it?

Some very nice whisky Richard, Laphroaig and Lagavulin are personal favourites, like you I drink my whisky neat and also only usually drink it when I’m north of the border. Fortunately I live in Scotland :grin:

10 Likes

The problem with maturing in old Sherry casks is you sometimes get a bad one, which can taint the whisky with a sulphur taste. Jim Murray the whisky writer is very anti sulphur taints.

I really like the 18 yo Glendronach Allerdice, which has a big sherry influence.

[quote=“Richard.Dane, post:40, topic:2119”]
When I do drink Whisky it’s always neat,

Yer daein’ it aw wrang boys … as any fule know, ye need tae pit sum Cooncil juice in there.

" A couple of drops of water can, it is claimed, coax out complexity, unleashing aromas, agitating molecules and opening up the nose like rain hitting a pavement on a balmy summer evening".

Or is that just me? :laughing:

4 Likes

I used to go and stay with friends on Knoydart and one year I did rather take to adding a drop of the peat brown water that supplied the house from the hill. Very tasty it was. That was until the day we stumbled across a dead sheep in the burn. It guess it added to the distinctive flavour. Neat for me, from now on…

4 Likes

:joy:

It is not just you, señor. That is the approved method, according to all the old red-nosed buggers who led me down this particular path…

2 Likes

Hi Rod. I was taught that sherry casks were also used to give a delicious amber hue to what would otherwise be a clear liquid. Is that evenly vaguely accurate?

Indeed. Some unscrupulous people even add colouring to make it look older.

1 Like

Straight from the still, the distillate is a clear liquid- essentially a barley vodka. All whisky takes its colour (and much of its flavour) from the cask. Bourbon matured are lighter than sherry matured. And whisky matured in oloroso or even Pedro Jimenez casks are much darker than those matured in fino casks. A ‘first fill’ cask will generally give a much darker hue than a second, or even third fill.

Yup, many blenders add caramel colouring for consistency of hue. But it’s a widespread and perfectly legal practice in the industry.

This is one of the reasons that I tend to stick with those brands whose labels are upfront and open with information as to “no colours added” and “non chill filtered”, together with an age statement.

If only the majority would provide this info but then, that would be giving the game away, wouldn’t it?

This one is my favourite!

6 Likes

Pure dead brilliant, that man. :joy:

2 Likes

I have been following this thread with interest and decided to check my “cellar” to see what I have in stock.On finding a stock photo to go with my whisky i got quite the shock on the current value placed on the malt.It is boxed and the level of fill is still intact.Oh dear, do I open it

8 Likes

This was the standard Macallan I grew up with, tremendous malt and yes worth a few bob these days. Why they went down the no age route is a mystery. It’s not a whisky I buy any more.

1 Like

Yes, this has always been a favourite , I just put a bottle aside as i didn’t approve of the revamp that occured in the last decade .Although the new livery is not unattractive ,it’s just me who’s an old git :grinning:

@glasnaim
This sort of New Age?

Well I was referring to no age, not new age, in my view the original 10 year old has a more satisfying rounder delivery, the new Macallan is a good whisky but not a great one.
As an architect I do like their new distillery, lovely building, blends into the countryside very well.

1 Like

Whoops dyslexia strikes again …
I rather like the design … but is it worth the trip to find out?

1 Like

Nice part of Scotland with loads of other distilleries nearby, including Glenfiddich, Cardhu,Tormore, Glen Moray, Glen Elgin and Benromach, real whisky country. Nice touring countryside with a few decent drams along the way, well worth the trip.

1 Like