Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

A Greek wine from the Wine Society - an Agiorgitiko from Nemea. Reminds me of a good Rioja but with less oak. Very well balanced and great value for £11-95

9 Likes

Donhoff are my favourite German producer. They are incapable of making a duff wine.

2 Likes

Last but one of these opened tonight with a fillet steak cooked in the Kamado. Still amazes me that a wine that was probably £10 a bottle 20 years ago has aged so amazingly. Big and jammy when first opened, but with 30 mins in the decanter, amazing caramel notes, vanilla, chocolate. Just stunning.

11 Likes

Thor!!

Full bodied, rich, fruity, hard hitting big wine. Fantastic. Goes with venison beautifully.

13 Likes

Had friends round for Sunday lunch (roast beef) today so served a couple of bottles of the 2009 Hortevie. Classic Saint- Julien - cedar, tobacco and leather on nose. Medium bodied but good concentration of fruit and very well balanced with long finish. Absolutely delicious

8 Likes

I wrote an article last year about quite why this Italian wine can be labelled with the word ‘Zinfandel’.

Well, at least that was a part of it. Should you be interested…it’s HERE
(Scroll down to tenth paragraph)

1 Like

I thought the word Zinfandel was now a US variety, part of the localisation of grapes.

https://timatkin.com/a-sensorial-symphony/?mc_cid=5af4a5ee84&mc_eid=f7e2599380

Thought this article would be interesting for this thread. Let me know if link doesn’t work. And this is what family and friends drank last night. Unfortunately I have a cold and did not partake.

8 Likes

Had a chuckle when I read the Boxing Day delivery was still to come…

1 Like

That’s a classy lineup PP - shame you couldn’t partake.

1 Like

Thank you QB. We are diving into the cellar this weekend, so hoping to catch up with those that got a head start on me. Will also test the theory around music influencing one’s perception of wine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Surely you have that back to front?

1 Like

Definitely! :rofl: but article a few posts up suggests music can heighten other senses. We’ll see…

1 Like

Some fabulous wines there, particularly La Rioja Alta. If you ever find yourself with a cold and unable to drink your wines then do let us know and I’m sure we can be of assistance :laughing:

3 Likes

Won’t you still be up to the gills in Daumas Gassac Crispy? Which vintage was that in your hallway BTW?

Look forward to hearing the outcome of those experiments. For it to be valid needs to be repeated over many days. And do share the tasting notes!

1 Like

The 1997 Alta was from a Library release earlier this year. I grabbed 6 bottles and included them in my luggage when I flew from LHR to YVR on Wednesday. Unfortunately, I rushed the packing (brought 69 bottles of various plonk) and the bag that had these 6 bottles in cardboard were “attacked” by a dozen Sassicaia in a wooden crate. 3 Alta’s did not survive :sob:

2 Likes

It was half a dozen each of 2009 and 2011

1 Like

I bought 2 cases of both EP from the cellar and need to make further inroads - very good indeed. I am a big fan of both the red and white and have great memories from our trips to the region.

1 Like

Dress rehearsal for Christmas - the beef is roasting and this single vineyard Syrah evoked the response “phwoarr!”

8 Likes