Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Thanks Richard - taking one for the team. May your next bottle be more memorable!

1 Like

I think it is an example of superb winemaking in an underripe vintage. I would love some to have with my braised beef cheeks!

Craggy Range “Sophia” 2007 Hawkes Bay Merlot/ Cabernet Franc blend.
Garnet colour. Bouquet of dark fruit and blueberry pastilles. Still has opulent dark fruit and great opulence and smooth texture. Fine intergrated oak. Delicious.

8 Likes

Have GR now discontinued this wine IDAK ?

I read somewhere they have pulled out some vines but can’t quite remember which ones

Thanks

1 Like

They are still going strong and making this wine. It’s one of their “prestige” wines selling for $139 these days. I bought this for about $30 in 2009. It really is as good as many Bordeaux right bank wines. The winery is well worth a visit. Beautiful grounds with sculptures of cattle and chickens.

Yes I’ve been there number of years ago and stayed the night in one of their beautiful modern cottages - had dinner in the restaurant and consumed their premium Pinot - great memories

1 Like

Stunning. Not so familiar with William Coe however. ? Napa

Yes correct - look up thier web page, the wine was exceptional

I’m on holiday from work as of this afternoon and driving down to the alps tomorrow morning (with a brief stop off in Burgundy tomorrow evening). To celebrate:

Truth be told, I had de mob fever last night and started my “celebration” early:

12 Likes

Trying the amazing and huge Zalto burgundy glass with a wonderful (maybe a little too young) Cartology 2021 from South Africa. Just wow …!

10 Likes

How did it open in those Zaltos? Love Cartologynamd I have some with the Wine Society for delivery in due course.

One of my best white wine discoveries of recent times. This is a Chardonnay from Franche-Comte by Vignoble Guillaume. Dont be fooled by the VdP classification - this is better than most Bourgogne Blanc and better than many Bourgogne Villages. Going for about £17 a bottle

9 Likes

I have to say: The Cartology was and is absolutely fantastic out of this glass - especially when the wine got 1 or 2 degrees warmer than I typically enjoy it. Simply wonderful!

But I am hugely disappointed as I recognised that the Zalto glass itself is faulty: I used the glass the very first time (bought in early December) and now it is obvious that it is crooked - very annoying …

2 Likes

Thank you, always glad to receive Chardonnay tips. How would you describe it?

1 Like

Was the Zalto sold as a “second”? I would be considering returning it if not

I’m genuinely not good at describing wine but here goes. Quite a deep yellow colour, proper Chardonnay nose with some tropical fruits. Very light use of oak so has freshness and makes it an excellent partner for food. Reminds me of a v good Jura Chardonnay

1 Like

My last bottle of the Muga 2016 Rioja Reserva. Just a lovely, lovely wine. Drunk with a pork chop

15 Likes

My pork chop yesterday was with a pear crumble, creme fraiche and Dunkerton’s Organic Perry plus a Poire Eau De Vie from Somerset

4 Likes

Very good dinner at 2 Michelin * restaurant Moor Hall in West Lancashire. Corkage at £60 a bottle not unusual for restaurants of this calibre and we took two 2005 bottles. The Penfolds Yattarna Chardonnay was very good indeed. It is now rather expensive to buy I understand so very grateful that it was shared for this occasion. I contributed a Stag’s Leap Fay Cabernet Sauvignon and it clearly had plenty of years left in it but was tasting absolutely brilliant. Both wines complemented the food and made this a very memorable end to January. Let’s hope the rest of the year is as good!

5 Likes

Look at these people having fun!

5 Likes