Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Where are you Rod?

Is that in Melbourne ?

Ch Sociando Mallet 2010.
Still going strong having been open 2 days. Garnet coloured. Cassis and lead pencil and all that with very supple tannins. Very good gentleman’s claret.

11 Likes

Am in Adelaide now. Had to fly via Melbourne as the direct flight Dubai : Adelaide was a casualty of covid. Alas no time to spend in Melbourne (other than overnight in the Ibis Budget at the airport, which is budget in every way - other than the actual budget. If you know what I mean.)

One week’s work at the IMW Seminar in the National Wine Centre and then one week’s R&R with friends in the Barossa (who I haven’t seen - obviously - since the beforetimes), and a much anticipated return to Kangaroo Island. Then, annoyingly I have to go back home again, which will probably coincide with just having got over the jet lag.

But there will be much wine, and more than the occasional Cooper’s Pale Ale, in the interim.
And it’s nice to be somewhere warm!

7 Likes

A nice beer (icy cold) on a hot. Enjoy your stay.

3 Likes

Looks like you have lucked out Rod……Pete has been let out for a few days in Sydney to celebrate his birthday……he probably drunk it dry😂

2 Likes

I do like the 2010 BDX that I have tried (admittedly not a lot). We opened a 2010 St Emilion - Ch. La Tour du Pin yesterday and really found it far too easy to drink. No decanting or extended time to come round.

1 Like

I’m by also keeping an eye out on reasonably priced 2016s as they are starting to mature and very good as well. Got some Lanessan on my radar

That may been a problem if it was my shout Rod has extremely expensive tastes. I probably would have to had hitchhiked home.

2 Likes

You could have helped hoover up the leftovers in the sample bottles

Never thought of that, I would have been great at that. :grin:

2 Likes

Ahead of my visit next month, thought I would open a Pinot noir from the excellent Restless River winery in the Upper Hemel en Aarde in South Africa. Full of crunchy red fruit and extremely more-ish.

10 Likes

Getting itchy feet just looking at it. I think it’s time to go down to my cellar

1 Like

That’s the Wanderlust living up to it’s name! A bit like the current New Classic thread.

2 Likes

I walked away from that thread :joy:

1 Like

Had this magnum, this evening, with friends over a cote de boeuf, en France. Lovely.

12 Likes

A mixed bag this evening. Opened this 2017 Pouilly-Fuisse earlier and quite a shock to find it was quite oxidated. We have had a couple from the case previously that have been delicious but now quite concerned that the rest of the case (and the St Veran from same vintage) might have issues. It is drinkable but certainly not as fresh and vibrant as expected.

Decided to make a venison pie for dinner. Crying out for Pinot Noir so we are trying this one from Elgin fruit. Pieter Walser from BlankBottle does not believe in giving any clues from the bottle shape. This must be the second most annoying bottle in my cellar. (The worst is a Johannisberger bottle with Schereube inside)

The Pinot is Burgundian style - quite a lot of forest floor even in one so young. The other bottles will be interesting!

8 Likes

Interesting, I’d be tempted to go for a Northern Rhône Syrah, I think of that as the classic match for venison. (On two occasions I was lucky enough to have venison (1st time roast venison haunch, the second time saddle braised in Crozes Hermitage with juniper berries) with Hermitage la Chapelle 1978, one of the greatest wines I’ve ever drunk and a great match with the food.)
I’ve developed a fondness for Elgin Pinots, but have found the few I’ve drunk more in the New World style, fruit ranging from cherry to strawberry, brighter palate with good structure. I’m interested to hear of one with the darker palate of a Burgundy style, I’ll have a look, thanks.

6 Likes

Glad to see you back on this thread Eoin

1 Like

Thanks, it feels like coming home. :grinning:

12 Likes

Round I hope you are continuing to improve. To celebrateTwo Paddocks “Fusilier” 2014 Otago Pinot Noir.
This new world Pinot is starting to get some mature browning in colour. Nose of savoury bovril and undergrowth. On palate seamlessly integrated dark cherries, stewed meat and deft integrated tannins. Very good indeed. Well done Sam Neill our only Hollywood star!

10 Likes