Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Haut Bailly 2007
A couple of nights ago my best mate and I shared this, first night of our short visit to Canterbury. Nice garnet colour with bricking rim, and a very classy nose of cassis, tobacco and cedar. The fruit follows through to the palate, rounded cassis notes with some plum, lovely mature cedar, tobacco, mushroom notes, good acidity, it’s well balanced. Mid to light weight on the palate with good length, the lack of power tells you it’s a minor vintage, but so so tasty.
(The smaller glass is mine, I’m being sensible with alcohol intake for health reasons, so Kell gets to enjoy the majority of the bottle each time we open one.)

8 Likes

After the shock of the snow the temperatures have soared to a balmy 12C!

First al fresco lunch of the year, with home made smoked mackerel pate accompanying this Rhone- blend from Pieter Walser in Stellenbosch, great fruit and well balanced acidity made it a perfect glass for the food.

4 Likes

I’m drinking the 21 Moment of Silence at present and it is just the most delightful wine

2 Likes

Sshhh! Don’t tell everyone they will want to buy it!

You are clearly a gentleman and scholar of impeccable taste!

1 Like

The Holy Snail sauvignon blanc from Thierry Delauney in the Loire Valley. Fresh and fruity with citrus, peach and mango flavours. Lovely.

6 Likes

Tasting before dinner, and then dinner, at Château Giscours.

Not half bad.

13 Likes

Rod I simply don’t know how you manage it. All work and no play.

6 Likes

Wines that we drank with roast chicken tonight - both from Germany. As an aperitif we had Piesporter Goldtropfchen Riesling 2021 from Schloss Lieser made by Thomas Haag. This is made in the feinherb (off dry) style and at 10.5% is just delightful. With the chicken itself we had a wonderful 2019 Pinot noir from the Markgraflerland area of Baden. At £15 from TWS it is hard to think of anything from Burgundy that delivers such pleasure at this price point. German wines still offer terrific value for great wines

7 Likes

Not sure if I posted this one already, but in any case as I found this wine wonderful, I can strongly recommend Ixsir El Red from Lebanon. In my case it is a 2012 vintage. It went very well together with our Sunday lunch, beef fillet with a green salad and mushrooms with onions and garlic :yum:

9 Likes

The day has been okay so far.

13 Likes

A lovely lineup. Has to be my favourite BOrdeaux address.

1 Like

Taking one for the team again Rod…

4 Likes

Very welcome. I now have to endure dinner at d’Yquem. Feel for me.

11 Likes

He does it , so we don’t have to.

As I have said before, thoughts and prayers, thoughts and prayers

2 Likes

In Lent?

2 Likes

A bowl of tomatoes ?

…why not?:smile:

Put them on eBay and buy a statement. :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s not just the tomatoes it’s a whole green salad

1 Like

Poor devil.

(Or perhaps that should be “pour”, devil…)

3 Likes