Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Thought so just wasn’t sure. It’s not a label or brand I recognise.

You don’t see them here much either. Apparently tho, its quite an important wine region. Some of their vines are over 160 year old.

The Great Western region is in western Victoria. The vineyards are at a high altitude. Its two most famous wineries are Seppelts and Bests. The region is known mainly for its Shiraz which tends to be lighter and more peppery than Barossa due to its cooler climate. Seppelts is best known for its “Great Western” sparkling whites.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Definitely heard Great Western bubbly, just not that red or that label.

2 Likes

Similar to: Downside #3 - I drink almost zero wine now (because, despite loving wine all my life, it now doesn’t agree with me).

1 Like

That’s sad to hear @JimDog - I acquired some old Austrian dessert wines at a very fair price when the owner who had been collecting them for 30 years was told he could live or drink but not both.

Having just been looking in the back of the wine storage and unpacked all the boxes below, I found some Henschke from early noughties - definitely good bottles for Australia Day!

8 Likes

Sorry to hear this. Funny how things change like this. My system won’t digest proteins unless I take a capsule with a variety of digestive enzymes before I eat. Carbs, veg, no problem. Just proteins.
This has been going on for about 10 years now. Weird.
Thank God wine is still okay tho …

4 Likes

Jeez … the more I talk to all you guys, the more I realise how weird or odd we all are.
Makes me feel quite at home. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You have more wine than most bottle shops, love a Henschke rather expensive here though. Was lucky enough to visit the winery a few ago.

1 Like

Had dinner meeting with overseas clients last night.
Showied off some great NZ wines from the restaurant’s wine list.
Cloudy Bay SB 2023 (Fabulous, I’ve not had one in years since they changed the style 15+ years ago)

Felton Rd Chardonnay 2022 (been wanting to try this since it has been mentioned on this forum. Lived up to the hype)

Black Barn Syrah 2020 (didn’t actually get to try it. Others enjoyed it though)

12 Likes

Cloudy Bay wine used to have such an exalted reputation - very high quality, coupled with shortage of supply. I trust that you enjoyed it.

Last night, I had a rather less thrilling alcohol-free Eisberg Sauvignon Blanc from Trier in Germany, courtesy of my local Co-op shop.

@Rod_Smith I have finally got round to trying the Greywacke on your recommendation after my comments about the Cloudy Bay not being as I remembered it (good timing bearing in mind the post above, albeit taking a different opinion!). The Greywacke is one I will definitely be going back to. Crisp and zesty without being overbearingly fruity.

9 Likes

Just given a bottle of the 707 ,2002 away.

A friend had given up his job, and looked after his elderly Mum ( who was more or less bed bound following a stroke)

She died and I wanted to show my appreciation… He had been really good when my Mum died and following my major surgery

I told him that it was a reject from the wine rack At Lidl

Still got one bottle left

4 Likes

I met some of the Henschke family at a tasting a while back - younger generation but gave the impression that they were continuing to respect the heritage. Just got to hope that Hill of Grace continues to be viable long term.

I was fortunate to pick up the Henschke bottles from the Wine Society at relatively modest prices without really knowing much about them at all. Having been fortunate enough to participate in a Henschke paulee BBQ a few years back I realised how well they age. I decided to leave them at the back of the cellar for a bit longer. It is our Aussie Day lunch tomorrow - my bottle of 2007 Amon Ra is already there and we have a couple of Dead Arms on the table as well. Lineup photo will be taken for you and the rest of the antipodean contingent. I also found a mixed case of Kumeu River chardonnays from 2020 vintage - guessing they might be approaching ready to drink stage.

4 Likes

That’s very noble Ian - I hope it is enjoyed. Sharing bottles is (almost) as much fun as opening them.

3 Likes

He was rather surprised …

best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Kumea River chardy very good Quickbean

Not knowing anything much about wine when I first arrived in Aus in 1979/80 I use to purchase Henschke Hill of Grace for about $16 a bottle by the dozen

Use to drink it every night and then buy another dozen

What a fool it would be at its peak now although possibly past I guess

Mind you was rather tasty even then as I remember

1 Like

Hill of Grace Shiraz 2018 is $995 per bottle well out of reach of the average Aussie. Think I e got a bottle buried somewhere which I’ll probably drink this year.

Enjoy your Australia Day.

2 Likes

Ouch - but I think I knew it was up there with Grange in the silly price section.

Our interesting line up for tomorrow is as follows:L

2006 Agrapart Grand Cru Minéral Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2016 Domaine Naturaliste Chardonnay Flagship Artus
2020 Mount Mary Chardonnay
2019 Peccavi Wines Chardonnay
1994 Wynns Coonawarra Estate Cabernet Sauvignon John Riddoch
2019 Two Hands Cabernet Sauvignon Wanderlust
2001 d’Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm and as a reserve 2011 Jamsheed Syrah Garden Gully
2003 d’Arenberg Shiraz The Dead Arm
2007 Glaetzer Shiraz Amon-Ra Barossa Valley
1973 Kaiser Stuhl Vintage Port

No sparkling shiraz though…

2 Likes