Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

I get a bottle of a sparkling red from Langmeil each year and give it to my brother in law. Never been a big fan.

The Two Hands is always a nice drop.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Devilishly-designed (by me!) MW tasting practice mock exam in Hong Kong this week.

Great fun! (Blind tasting is always easier when you know what they are)

Paper 1 White
2 x same region (Alsace)
3x same country (South Africa)
2x same region/grape (Chablis)
5 x ‘mixed bag’ (different countries/varieties)

Paper 2 Red
3 x same region (Burgundy)
4 x same variety (Syrah/Shiraz)
3 x same country (Spain)
2 x compare/contrast (S Chile v Puglia)

Paper 3 Mixed/Other
4 x Rosé, diff countries (ex France) diff methods
4 x Sweet wines, 4 countries
2 x same country (Portugal - Madeira & Port)
2 x same country (Spain - Sherry)

9 Likes

I can see a Langmeil Valley Floor buried in there, finished a bottle that a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Yes, I was going to say, I’ve seen the Valley Floor and the Black Barn posted here recently.
Great line up Rod.
Nas drovia (English version)

1 Like

Two in fact - I also used their rosé…

2 Likes

Indeed. The Black Barn Syrah was very Hawkes Bay and most of them got it right.

Fortunately nothing corked. And the Grand Cru Burgundy (around €170) delivered, which was just as well. I know Thibault though, and he is a lovely guy. I just wish Burgundy was not so crazily expensive. But I have to choose wines that replicate the exam, which itself must be representative of the whole world of wine. And, being on the board, I know how much the exam wines cost!!!

Two MW-made wines. Richard Kershaw’s astonishing single parcel Chardonnays are genuinely the best in the country (South Africa), and rival anything from the Côte d’Or at twice their (not inconsiderable) price.
And Fernando Morra’s Garnacha is labelled ‘Supersonico’ with some ample justification. It tastes like Ch Rayas…

1 Like

Yes, my saliva glands activated when I looked at the Burgundy label, very nice. Happy to hear nothing was corked, that’s always a fear. As such, whenever I gift a wine, I always try to ensure I have at least one more bottle and include a no questions asked replacement bottle if they find it to be corked. So far, so good, so I must know some honest people. :slightly_smiling_face:
I definitely hear you on the cost of Pinot Burgundies. I’ve been in conversation with @Quickben (who has a formidable collection, I believe) regarding this, and we have both drifted down (geographically) to Gamay based Beaujolais for the better value, for now. Still pick up the odd Cote d’Or tho.

I’ll keep an eye out for Richard Kershaw Chardonnays. We are bound by the purchasing team at Ontario’s wine board, but hopefully they will see the light and bring some in.
I find S.A. wines to be good value. I have quite a few SA Chenin Blancs ageing in the cellar and a few nice reds as well. Also some Hunter Valley Semillons I’m looking forward to trying in a 5 to 8 year period.

I have a miniscule collection compared to most, maybe 300 botles, but I get such a kick out of the search, aging, cataloguing, and finally tasting, and what we have seems to usually provide us with enough nice wines.

Btw, I wanted to ask you … I have a 2003 Delaforce Vintage Porto and I wodered if 20 years was the preferred time to consume it. The Brits used to wait 20 years apparently, which is why, I read, that the CEO of Taylor-Fladgate first developed LBV Porto. Is there any benefit to waiting longer?
Anyway, enjoy your wonderful tasting sessions, Rod; to say I’m envious is an understatement. :shushing_face:

Dave

2 Likes

Inexpensive and local. Central Victoria.
It must be the cool weather for slow ripening. Bendigo Heathcote make excellent full bodied Shiraz

6 Likes

Clos St Jean CNP 2010
Brownish colour with deep aroma of undergrowth dark fruit. Very smooth on palate with dark fruit, garrigue, leather , ripe plums and sweet alcohol with ripe tannins. Heady stuff!

7 Likes

Many of you seem to have frequent nice trips, France being a loved destination. I’ve been suggested to travel for the whole of the last year, by friends and relatives. I first loved actually going to places with S. which then became wanting to go, and staying. Traveling alone is not so thrilling, in spite of what Tom Waits sings…
I miss those trips a lot. She loved France, la Côte d’Azur especially. I wonder if she still goes there, with her husband.
Apologies for the sentimental detour.

(By the way, I drink whatever has a decent taste and a minimal content of alcohol)

Delicious

9 Likes

Thanks.

The Madeira today was the star. Not sure anyone spat all of it. Certainly I didn’t!!

20 years is still fairly young for vintage porto, and there’s certainly no rush to drink it. But it should be approachable already, and Delaforce is not a blockbuster tannic style in the first place.

Re: LBV - ha! Yes it makes porto with a year on the label drinkable in youth, but it was created really to help get the Reserve Ruby category over the £9.99 price point in the UK (and $10 in the US at the time). Which is sad, but true. Obviously they won’t admit that!! Worked though!

2 Likes

Hi Rod, I have a few Taylors Vintage Ports, some dating back to early 80’s, they’re not ideally stored but my house is pretty cool, should they be ok and what’s generally considered as life expectancy? Cheers

Agree that Richard making very good Chardonnay - tried for the first time when he showed them in London a few years back and acquired a case of his 2017 Clonal Selection. Opened one last week and it was very good indeed. The oak influence is integrating now and it is definitely an Elgin highlight.

It’s not just the price of Burgundy PN that makes me look more at Beaujolais but also the time to come to full drinking potential though there do seem to be more approachable young at village level. I have succumbed to one case of 22 though after a recommendation from a fellow wine lover 4 years older than me who is also cutting back on purchases. Hoping it is a good tip off.

2 Likes

Giving the NZ Bell Hill 2013 Chardonnay a bit of a nudge

Was a bit worried maybe it hadn’t lasted the distance but it’s beautiful I must say

Got rather expensive over here now unfortunately so probably not too many more to be purchased I still have a couple of vintages to go though

1 Like

I’d think about drinking 1983, less hurry for 1985, but forty years is getting towards the end of the plateau for these generous vintages. And even vintage port corks (the longest) become a risk as they approach 50.

However, I had some 1977 a few months ago and it was very much alive and kicking. I’d imagine similar applies to the exceptional 1980

Port(o) is one of the most robust wines of all…

3 Likes

Australia Day lunch lineup. Champagne with Vegemite cheese straws might be my favourite match

10 Likes

Dead Arm…beautiful red :heart:

2 Likes