Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

One of those wonderful Tassie bubblies might have been more appropriate. Great selection of wine though.

Vegemite and cheese is a marriage made in heaven. :grin:

2 Likes

Would love to hear your thoughts on the d’Arenberg. I have a few single bottles of older vintages in the wine room that I’ve been sat on for a few years…

1 Like

Agree with you about Tassie bubbles but the grower champagne was very special. All three Chardonnays performed wonderfully and I would be very happy try them again. Of the reds, the 1994 Wynns was the best on show. The “bruiser” flight of Shiraz would have better suited to a BBQ with a slab of ribs and maybe more time in bottle. Didn’t get a taste of the 89 Hill of Grace on next table but their 96 Wynns was excellent. As the 03 Dead Arm wasn’t right there was a backup 2011 Jamsheed which was a bit lighter. The 73 Kaiser Stuhl something to savour. Now time for a rest.

2 Likes

I would have created a disturbance. :grin:

1 Like

I thought both of the Dead Arm could have happily been left for a few more years - no rush to consume.

1 Like

@Bevo i see the current bell hill Chardonnay costs $258 here. I won’t be getting any! I think the Kumeu River chards are world class but even they are nudging $100. I reckon the Felton road Chardonnay is excellent at around $70.

Good to hear, thanks!

4 Likes

@IDAK

Yep Bell Hill wines now out of my price league , definitely no more for me , one can imagine their prices here

You are spot on , the Felton Road Block 2 Chardonnay is a cracker and well priced , I really like it

There is an equivalent priced Aussie one - Chardonnay by Farr 3 oaks vineyard from Geelong Victoria - it’s a beauty. Winemaker Nick Farr a youngish guy is a top bloke and his dad started the Farr wines long ago

1 Like

Something from Lidl, don’t really know but it’s too quaffable and having the desired effect :yawning_face:

3 Likes

Some Burgundy lunches are (even) better than others!

13 Likes

Wow x 2 – one for the wines and one for the menu.

1 Like

Something I’ve always wondered, Rod. How do you deal with the sediment in that situation?
Are they double decanted?
Wonderful wines, btw.

3 Likes

While I am, of course, exceptionally grateful for the chance to taste (and drink) wines like that, say a few words, and eat some of the best (western) food I’ve ever had in HK, there is something a bit ‘dommage’ about this.

Any one of these wines would have been the centrepiece of a dinner/evening/tasting, and yet they were all opened.

There must have been people worth 10 or 20 billion in total in that room, and I am grateful to be able to exchange business cards with them. Future work and all that. But for a wine lover to see such wines opened, tasted, drunk, and discarded, with the alacrity of the mega-rich, for whom it just doesn’t matter, is a bit sad.

Still, it would have happened whether I had been there or not.

And the de Vögué Musigny was just sublime.

5 Likes

Friends coming for dinner, ingredients bought, wines chosen - and my poor wife has come down with a filthy virus that has put her in bed. So I’ve made the filling for the pie I had intended making (pheasant, bacon and leek pie with a suet crust) and put it in the freezer. As a consolation I’ve knocked up a chilli and am going to have it with this 2007 CDP from Bosquet des Papes. I’m sure I will cope with the disappointment :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

Very nice. I came across a 1974 bottle recently. At 135 euro I passed.

Enjoy.

1 Like

Just drinking it now and it is just lovely. Warmth and spice with loads of fruit still. Doesn’t taste like a 15% wine!

1 Like

We had some good news regarding the 3-year-long litigation/attack we’ve been enduring, so I opened this to pair with a steak last night. I bought it in 2014 and luckily I stood it up about a week ago.

It was excellent! Eleven years was just right. Decanted for 90 minutes, cooled in the fridge for 30 mintutes of that. It was a deep garnet colour and had a fair amount of sediment, but only lost a few ounces.

Mint and eucalyptus on the nose, which carried into the medium-full bodied palate and complimented the dark berry fruits. A touch of pepper, tho not as much as I would have thought. It had a perfect tannic presence and lively acids, all blending into a delicious, succulent finish. Sure wish I had a case of it.
I’ll definitely be buying more of this.

16 Likes

Penfolds make some great wines, I’ve got bins 28, 389 and 407 just waiting to be cracked.

5 Likes

Where in HK was the tasting? And yes, agree re: your sentiments – during our time in HK, there were certainly some surreal experiences. Very many good, but some just left you scratching your head.