Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

A Piedmont weekend for us and yesterday’s mature Barolo followed with a young Dolcetto D’Alba from Burlotto. It’s got masses of fruit and is beautifully fresh and vibrant. Not had dolcetto for a while and a reminder of what you drink while waiting for the nebbiolo.

10 Likes

Had with dinner at friends place.
Taittinger Prestige Rose
Veuve Clicquot
The Co-Ordinates Ormond Chardonnay 2021 NZ
Felton Block 6 Chardonnay 2022 NZ
Wither Hills Benmorven Organic Chardonnay 2021 NZ
Taittinger and Felton were fabulous. Actually all were fabulous.

9 Likes

Love Piedmont wines QB and that one sounds delicious. But I can never get my bottles to float above the table like that …

2 Likes

Opened this up on Saturday night to have with a char cooked T-Bone both were rather good. I didn’t realise how little I had left though. :grin:

12 Likes

It’s the quarry tile floor and the hand holding the bottle neck not in photo :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t you have a Langmeil subscription Pete? Case a month?

1 Like

I get 3 seasonal bottles (reds) every 3 months and 6 old vine reds every 6 months.

3 Likes

Lovely photo , glad you are sticking to a small glass of red*

My very best wishes

Ian

• I must get a bottle of the ancient vines for Christmas
2 Likes

Despite it being a Monday night, despite my partner’s late night at work, I stood up to the plate and opened this.

One of the best NZ sauvignons I have tried. Very preferable to the Villa Maria ‘Private Bin’ equivalent, because the obvious grassy, gooseberry character is pared back. I’m enjoying it and there is goat cheese pasta to come.

6 Likes

I’ll have bring you a bottle or 2 of the old vines over next time. :grin:

1 Like

Lovely big Spanish red, but grown at altitude so nice balance. Intensity, texture and length. Good fruit, warm grenache nose. Yummy.

7 Likes

Yalumba Paradox Shiraz 2019 Aus.
Inky colour, fills mouth with plums and blackcurrants.
Lovely.

6 Likes

A good honest local CDR €10 for 2 …fresh and fruity .

7 Likes

I’m a bit sniffy about Australian wines, probably because of the really dull industrial scale stuff we see on UK shelves at modest prices, so I tend not to buy it.

But this Aligoté arrived in this month’s lighter wines Wine Without Fuss case from The Wine Society. It has wonderful aromas and isn’t over fruity, and is just delicious. We’ve had plenty of Borgogne Aligoté and this is quite different, and a great discovery. It’s £12.50 and any WS members might want to give it a go.

6 Likes

Once again, I feel compelled to mention another wine from Lidl, this one featured as part of their “Italian Wine Tour” promotion.

Duca di Sasseta - Puglia Appassimento.

Loads of dark, fruity flavours, and, as is so often the case with some wines from Lidl, it tastes far better than it has any right to do, given it’s pricing.

I recommend anyone here to rush out and buy a couple of bottles, but you’ll have to be quick, as it’s disappearing off the shelves fast.

6 Likes

It’s nice to know people care, my care package arrived from my favourite winery. These look interesting especially coming into the colder months. Can’t see that 2016 Valley Floor surviving winter. :grin:

14 Likes

Hi Pete,following your support for Langmeil I bought a few bottles.

The Black Widow is not even on their website currently , so I suspect you have been treated to one of the very last bottles

Cheers

Hic

Ian

1 Like

I just led a masterclass about Australian wine (from Victoria) at the Australian embassy in Paris, for a bunch of French sommeliers and retailers, in French.

Gulp!

And a lady came up to me, held out her hand, and said “G’day. I’m Gillian, how’re you going?”

We had a chat, during which it became apparent she is the Ambassador to France.
Quite the most ‘excellent’ thing any ‘excellency’ has done in my presence…

18 Likes

I hoped they behaved themselves. :grin:

3 Likes

Give your Ambassador her due, selling wine to the French might be considered an uphill struggle😂

4 Likes