Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

We had a Tasmanian sparkling at Christmas - it was very good, already have a bottle for next Christmas

3 Likes

A full bodied Barbera at a nice evening in the garden.

12 Likes

Looks like you buy your wine from the same Internet supplier as I do :+1:

So your supplier is located in Bremen?

Indeed he is!

It’s the 150th anniversary of The Wine Society this year. They are celebrating in a number of ways including a range of wines called the Generation series. However, their top of the line celebration wines are called the Anniversary series. They have been working with some of their favourite wine makers to produce wines that are ready for drinking now. In some cases this work started 10 years ago. I went to a 150 th tasting at the Law Society in January and this was one of my favourites. A single vineyard Gruner Veltliner from the Kamptal region made by Schloss Gobelsburg in 2019. This is something very special and is just sublime. Quite extraordinary for £20 a bottle. Had some tonight with a pan- fried chicken breast with a cream and tarragon sauce.
I also bought the 2020 Santa Barbara Chardonnay made for TWS by Au Bon Climat and a 2019
Moulin-a-Vent Beaujolais

9 Likes

Thanks Crispy. I have had the Au Bon Climat Chardonnay before from majestic, but will give the GV a try too. Any other wine society recommendations? I have been meaning to join for a while. Only for Thursday to Sunday drinking mind :wink:

1 Like

Glad to hear of your monk- like drinking habits (no pun intended)! All of the Anniversary wines are good but they are a one off - once they are gone that’s it. I also really rate TWS normal premium in- house range - their Exhibition wines. It’s hard to buy a duff bottle. But I am going to buy another case of the Anniversary GV - extraordinary

2 Likes

Normally prefer blends, but this cab sauv is such a great expression of all that is good about the Stags Leap District.
Perfect to accompany dinner of steak and sprout gratin.

7 Likes

Wines we enjoyed over the weekend. :+1:
Yalumba Paradox Shiraz 2019 Aus
Greystone Pinot Noir 2019 NZ
Martinborough Home Block Chardonnay 2022 NZ

9 Likes

This is what buying wine in Ontario, Canada is like all the time. The Liquor Control Board (I loathe that word ‘control’) brings in a load of wines every two weeks and when the good/best ones are sold out, that’s it. The best ones are gone in two weeks, the good ones can be had for a month or three, but you have to search them out and then drive to the specific LCBO store that has it.

Quite often, the same wine will be brought in again a year later, but of course the next vintage isn’t always as good. We’re not allowed to buy online wines and spirits from the US or anywhere, and not even allowed to ship inter-province. They treat us like children. And on top of all this $hit, it all costs almost double what the rest of the world pays … triple some of the US items.

Anyhoo, the last three wines you guys have posted are a few of my wife’s and my favourites. Riesling, Barbera D’Asti and Gruner Veltliner. Excellent …

4 Likes

Thanks for posting - I had no idea that Canada is this restrictive where booze is concerned. Sounds even worse than the U.S. ?

2 Likes

It’s almost impossible to send wine from Australia to the UK and it’s not down under that’s the problem.

1 Like

I thought the uk had signed a new trade deal with Australia? At least that is the way it’s been trumpeted over here. Is it smoke and mirrors?

I’m sure you have but I can’t send you a bottle of wine as a gift. Apparently you guys tax gifts.

You could always give it a go. And I can report back to the forum :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

2 Likes

Any alcohol imported into the UK is subject to duty and tax, unless you carry it on your person and it is legitimate duty free (i.e. within your allowance AND it is permitted from that destination). When I visited Yarra Yering in 2018 I snaffled one of their last cases of the 2015 Dry red number 1, for which they organised shipping to the UK and then there was also duty and VAT on top.

3 Likes

I think the restriction depends on which state you’re in. Some states are worse than others, but overall not as bad as Canada. I remember being in North Carolina on vacation a bunch of years ago and we were close to the South Carolina border and would nip over to get beer on Sundays.

They need to privatize our liquor and beer stores. Then we’d have better hours, way more selection, better prices etc.
Cheers.

Anyone use a Wine Wizard?
It was the subject of much debate in the pub yesterday.

Is it really any better than double decanting or even just swirling your wine around in your glass and leaving for a couple of minutes

You can probably guess that I’m a bit sceptical!

3 Likes