Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

If you can get it. It is like trying to find rocking horse droppings here.

2 Likes

Same here IDAK and prices gone through the roof

1 Like

Thank you Bevo – I haven’t yet had either of those. You can find the Rieslings at an ok price on BBX – the Pinot Noir’s are a bit more dear (£150+++/btl). Jancis Robinson is a big fan of all three varieties it seems.

A rather good lunch on Sunday at the Owl in Leeds - great location by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in the sunshine.

The 99 Billecart Salmon BdB was a real thing of beauty and we enjoyed n their terrace with the only risk the pigeons on the roof overhead.

Whites were in flights of 2 with the first accompanying a tomato salad. The Gusbourne was a blind pour from the somm as some fun. Lean and very young still but shows promise. The 05 Semillon was glorious and maybe my WOTD. The two rieslings were chalk and cheese but each was hugely enjoyable. Served with scallop and pork belly each worked better with one component of the dish.

The Yorkshire pudding course with a Barbaresco and the Beaucastel was lovely. Beaucastel had the honours. The 70 Latour was a little tired sadly but great to have tried it. The 82 Beychevelle was on top form - a perfect mature claret. With beef Wellington what not to like?

The 70 Grahams was also in great shape and perfect for our desserts.

Not your everyday wines so a real summer treat and really appreciated the generosity of the contributors.

12 Likes

Southern Tor 2020 Pinot Noir… A wonderful example of NZ pinot. The 2022 (which I also have) was awarded top NZ Pinot at the IWIC this year. It reminded me to try the 2020, which was also highly awarded, and the 2021 was as well!! From Alexandra, right in the Central Otago region. I find it goes well with Mozart or Haydn.

8 Likes

Gee it’s a pity I can’t drink, there seems to way too many Kiwi wines been posted lately. :grin:

3 Likes

Come October… , which is 45 days away.

best wishes

Ian

2 Likes

Might be a little later than that. :grin:

1 Like

Found this in the supermarket in Bora Bora. Very refreshing after a hard day on the jetski. First time BTW for both this wine and the jetski

8 Likes

That’s a heck of a trip you are on William.

2 Likes

So, having slummed it in French Polynesia for almost a week :rofl: we decided to go out in style on our very last night and book ourselves into a posh hotel.
The so-called Best Rate Guarantee didn’t live up to its promise so I did a small amount of grumbling after we were received off the boat. As a result we were given early check-in, a bottle of champagne and a dayroom for the whole day tomorrow after check-out. Happy customers if somewhat tiddly after the champers and swim

9 Likes

Dinner last night at the Hinds Head in Bray, ahead of the regular themed lunch today at La Trompette. A great pair of clarets to go with the superb bavette and triple cooked chips. Pomerol was there straight off the bat, with the merlot giving a lovely rounded feel. The Pauillac was a bit slower to open up (both double decanted 3 hours before serving) but developed a great cabernet nose and palate with graphite and cassis notes with silky tannins. At this rate I might be drinking more of my Bordeaux bottles!

13 Likes

Thursday’s BDX was followed the next day for lunch on a glorious summer day with a hedonistic lineup of champagne and Pinot noir. With two magnums to start our table had a marvellous time of it with Pier Heidseck 98 rare battling it out with Gimonnet 02. Both superb and continued evolving well through lunch.

After some German and Swiss Pinot it was onto a trio of Californians with the Rhys being the star. A Coutet 03 with our pain perdu was an inspired choice. The world may be falling apart but we had a few hours to not have to contemplate it too closely.

14 Likes

With a nice chicken liver rigatoni

12 Likes

Nice. I have a few 2009s left.

for my 60th Birthday dinner at Calcot Manor, wines and dinner was exceptional

Bollinger Rose on arrival
Sancerre
RODA 2016 en jeroboam
Fonseca 10yr old tawny jeroboam

16 Likes

Looks great! Best wishes to you.

1 Like

Lovely wines - Happy 60th Birthday!

1 Like

Pair had over the weekend :champagne: :+1:

10 Likes

Catching up from two weeks in BC. This was a very nice Pacific North West Pinot noir paired with steak for my wife and youngest son and halibut for me (was at Black + Blue Vancouver — fun people watching on the roof top patio).

9 Likes