Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

And a night later at Aqua Farina also in Vancouver. Wine was fantastic, but surpassed by the waiter. Great sense of humour.

8 Likes

Bodegas La Horra “ Corimbo” Tempranillo 2015 Ribera Del Douro
Dark garnet no hint of age despite 500 ml bottle. Dark fruit and coconut in palate. Still quite structured with a nice line of acidity and firm tannins. Can go a few more years. Currently $20nz at Truffle Wellington. On clearance as local restaurants are in in the doldrums.
Will be good with Osso Buco tonight.

14 Likes

Adding to the birthday wishes. Good choices on the wines. I’m a big fan of the Roda’s.

@PistolPeter the RODA reserva 2016 out of Jero was a superb match for the lamb with the main

9 Likes

Artuke White Rioja 2021. A blind of viura and two other grape varieties. I bit like a Spanish Chablis
Nice and dry tasting of green apples, spice and chalky finish.

6 Likes

I really like the Cune white Rioja, which is a good wine at a modest price. I looked yours up, and while it costs more than we’d spend, it sounds lovely.

2 Likes

Lovely Volnay to accompany pan fried Pigeon breast, a delicious pairing. Silky tannins and lovely sour cherry notes….

I’m never sure whether or not to decant red burgundy. @Rod_Smith ?

The consensus of the internet seems to say no, so I didn’t.

9 Likes

Mrs AC seems partial to rosé lately.

Nipped to Sainsbury’s just before closing time to get a couple of whites. Quickly scrabbled around
to make up 6 bottles after I noticed the 25% off half a dozen offer.

Thought she might enjoy this:

5 Likes

She should be so lucky (lucky, lucky, lucky)

5 Likes

Who wouldn’t like a bit Kylie?

1 Like

Better the devil you know

1 Like

Too late now!

You decant if a (red) wine is old enough to have thrown sediment, to eliminate that from the glasses.
Yours was not sufficiently old to need this (sediment develops at around 10-12 years)…

You decant a young wine (any colour) to give it exposure to oxygen, replicating the ageing process (just as swirling it around the glass, or even once in your mouth) will do.
Yours was not young enough to need this.

Occasionally a wine can benefit from decanting for both reasons (12+ year old Cabernet for example).
This is unlikely in Burgundy/Pinot Noir.

So, you did the right thing*, and I hope and am sure it was delicious.

Santé!

*This is not to say that the “Internet” is “right”. Oh, no…

8 Likes

Suspect I’ll be Spinning Around after a glass or two.

3 Likes

Grade-A delicious.

Dry but super-rich, with honey, acacia and roasted peach flavours and a waxy, palate coating texture and depth.

I really love aged Franken Silvaner. One of the world’s greatest not-famous wine styles.

13 Likes

Went Italian the other night with veal chops, white flowering broccolini, crushed thyme potatoes with peaches and cream corn on the cob. Both wines paired well. The Quintarelli reminded me of ripe purple plums.

7 Likes

@HungryHalibut I managed to get it half price as there is no market for it here in Wellington and the local importer is having a fire sale of Spanish wine. Restaurants are quiet and everyone is watching their pennies. Our new government is on an austerity drive like UK circa 2010. i
ll keep an eye out for the Cune, thanks.

We had a bottle of the Cune this evening with dinner. It’s about £8 in our local Co-op.

6 Likes

I find that Syrah/Shiraz’s can benefit significantly from a few minutes of exposure to oxygen. Not sure if it calls for decanting generally, but if tasting from a fresh bottle, either some swirling or letting it sit for a few minutes can make a big difference. @Rod_Smith is that a thing for Syrah’s generally, or just me…

Last evening of vacation. Fly home tomorrow. Definitely an Italian theme the past 2 weeks. Sardinia is home to some very nice and affordable reds.

10 Likes

Many thanks Rod, concise advice on decanting, much appreciated :+1:

Paul