Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

This was a very-much-not-bad tasting…

15 Likes

Now that’s a tasting I would enjoy.
But I note that there is no Szepsy or Essencia on show. And has Royal Tokaj been returned to Hungarian ownership?

2 Likes

We tasted with Istvan (Szepsy) the day before.

And we had Eszencia at Disnókő (and elsewhere.) Lucky us!

And yes Royal Tokaj now back in completely Hungarian hands. Although they honour Hugh Johnson in statuary terms.

13 Likes

And also, of course, some history:

12 Likes

Not born in one of those years, so unable to have an opinion…

2 Likes

Brilliant - what joy.
Oh I do miss my time in Budapest, especially ‘Sam and Rodney’.

3 Likes

Last night’s wines with my son while our partners were at ABBA. The Meerlust was excellent. Paired with honey and black garlic chicken kebabs bought from a SouthAfrican butcher in a corner of Wandsworth known as little South Africa.

7 Likes

Szamorodni can, of course, be completely dry.

Which makes the whole thing so very easy to explain to consumers…!

Samuel Tinon’s Dry Szamorodni is, without doubt, the best, and a wondrous and very delicious wine. But it has Flor (like Jura), is bone dry, and he only makes two (small) barrels a year.

9 Likes

In my ignorance I think of it as A Hungarian Sherry. A wonderful aperitif prior to gulyas or paprikas.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what they are like! Flor is the main flavour in Fino and Manzanilla Sherry, and part of Amontillado.

You would never buy a dry Szamorodni by accident because only three producers make one, and the production is miniature. Probably 99% of Szamorodni is sweet, although quite how much sugar is in any particular wine is guesswork. The dry ones do, and have to, say so on the label.

Szamorodni is a Polish word which means ‘as it comes’ (as in the grapes), so the resulting wine reflects the conditions of the vineyard and vintage.

5 Likes

Only tried Oremus once when it was poured as part of a Vega Sicilia dinner - very impressive alongside the Unico etc.

Did you see any evolution in style as I have heard that traditional styles are being eschewed somewhat? Friend of mine starting to import Slovak tokaj so I am curious as to similarities and differences.

1 Like

A departure from my usual wines as we were honoured to have Paul Brajkovich join us for dinner at our local wine merchant. Have loved Kumeu River for years and the new 2023 vintage is delicious. Looking forward to the 2019 blend of Coddington and Mates for the Wine Society 150 anniversary lunch tomorrow.

10 Likes

Interesting I rather like the Slovak version, probably because I lived there before going to Hungary six years later. I understand the geography and geology are similar. The micro climate along the river Tisa (Hu) contributes to the development of noble rot on the grapes. That part of Slovakia that produces Tokaj was part of Hungary, and Hungarian is still spoken there, but that is all history.

I cannot recall the details but perhaps @Rod_Smith can explain the difference between Tokaj wines (well at least the aszu) and the wines from Rust. I think it’s about how the flor is treated. In any event for me they are examples of the greatest sweet wines.

2 Likes

Lovely with some retro steak Diane and goose fat chips

11 Likes

Meerlust Rubicon one of my favourite wines , especially on Christmas Day

2 Likes

Ettore Germano, Barolo docg del Comune di Serralunga d’Alba, 2020.

Let me think, let me try:

This wine has a bright garnet red color, recalls flavors of strawberry, cherry, pomegranate and rose. On the palate, lots of energy with a powerful entrance and precise and punctual tannins.

This wine has PRaT, and was a gift from my good friend A.

10/10 is what I think.

13 Likes

Ok, I will ask. What is “retro” steak Diane? Is it that it is old school or something else that makes it retro.

Cooked a roast for lunch and accompanied with this one from Wynns, which has been going down rather well…

13 Likes

Hi Peter

Standard ingredients, but with a garnish of 70s nostalgia!

1 Like

Thoroughly enjoyed this last night:

£12 instead of £16.

25% off 3 or more ‘Taste The Difference’ bottles at Sainsbury’s currently - a much better offer than discounts on half a dozen or more.

8 Likes