Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

A wonderful Piedmont lunch this week. Great food so sympathetically paired to the wines made this probably the best lunch of the year so far. Mature Nebbiolo in the right hands has to up there as one of the most sublime wine experiences. A range of styles in the various bottlings we shared but each one added something to the joy.

emphasized text

8 Likes

Here are the wines from our early Thanksgiving dinner. The Blank Canvas from NZ was enjoyed in the afternoon pre- and during meal prep, the Sommerhalde was paired with the pre-dinner appies and the '96 Lynch Bages (x2) was the first wine served with the Turkey, followed by the Feytit-Clinet and the Mascarello. The Cornas helped finish off the evening post the pumpkin and blueberry pies. Definitely will need to get outside today and burn some calories.

9 Likes

Yesterday we were four in downtown Milano for dinner and behaved a bit like tourists, poor tourists trying to avoid spending a fortune in wine.

We ordered this Pietradolce 2022 looking mainly at the price, but very lucky we were.

Delicate on the nose, perhaps too much. A very satisfying flavor of earth and stone. The tannins remained for a long time which I like. And the mind wandered around the slopes of Etna volcano for a reasonable price (if you are sitting in Piazza Missori).

11 Likes

Walter Speller (from Jancis Robinson’s site) is a fan of Pietradolce. The most recent one rated by him was the 2020 which he gave a 17+. The 2022 is available at The Wine Society @ £21. Might try and grab some.

1 Like

€ 21,18 here, I just bought 12. Do you reckon it can take 10 years?

2 Likes

We liked it, not sure about ageing.

2 Likes

Walter Speller thought the 2020 would be good for a decade.

1 Like

From my Back Blocks Off Site wine cellar in the bush over the weekend.
Still holding up well.
Man o’ War Chardonnay 2008 NZ
Vidal Syrah 2004 NZ

7 Likes

Had this rather tasty red. Lots of dark ripe fruit, smooth and well balanced. Very nice and satisfying

7 Likes

This crisp German wine was just the ticket a few days ago. Spring is sprung and the grass is riz. Very nice after mowing the lawns.

14 Likes

One of the few things better than fish and chips.

1 Like

I think I have more Donnhoff than any other German producer. Always stunningly precise whatever the style.

2 Likes

We are having a very French dinner tonight with two dear French neighbours

13 Likes

Back in Portugal. Watched the sunset while enjoying a very nice/crisp Vinhos Verdes before walking back to the villa to bbq some chicken kebobs with a Portuguese version of Caeser salad. We had a lovely red from Alentejano – a blend of 5 grapes – with the meal

. Smooth. Portuguese wines are such great value.

11 Likes

Dolcetto d’Alba, Renato Fenocchio 2021

Very agreeable to my tastebuds.
Bought it for cellar stock but it says to ‘Drink now’ …so carrying out the instructions :yum:

13 Likes

Ooh steak tartar, wonderful! I’ve not indulged for a few years…

This evening we have been living high on the hog with a Gigondas my partner bought me for my birthday, in the summer. Utterly sumptuous, all rich dark fruit and delicious mouthfeel with a long, spirity finish. I think I can genuinely say that it seemed like no other wine I have had. Very, very enjoyable.

14 Likes

A 2015 Gigondas from Chateau de Saint Cosme which we had with duck breast. I love Gigondas and would always choose it ahead of CDP

12 Likes

Not drinking per se. Yet!

Delivery from in bond at Tilbury before the duty and tax hikes.

8 Likes

what / where is Tilbury?