Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Essex?

Tilbury Docks are, as said, in Essex, specifically on the Thames, it’s a Freeport (I think part of the Thames Freeport). More relevantly it’s one of the sites of London City Bond bonded warehouses, from which it looks as though @thebadyogi has shipped some wine from bond.

4 Likes

Indeed. It meant I got to reorder my cellar.

11 Likes

I can help you with the wine. :grin:

4 Likes

Dense purple and violet reflections, a Prince wine. Black cherry, blackcurrant and blackberry on the nose, the black album. Toasted mocha beans, hazelnut chocolate crémant and discreet floral notes give this wine his depth and wide. The fruit is clearly present on the palate, with aromas of blue berries and notes of fresh licorice and olives. The beautiful sweetness, combined with chalky and slightly grainy tannins, gives fullness and volume to the stage. The minerality of the Toro and the balanced toasting of the barrel blend perfectly with the fruity aromas.

My favorite wine from Spain. Ah! Toro, ah! Zamora.

With M. In Baden, the day Rafael Nadal retired from professional tennis.

Then we went 17,5 for dessert in Portugal.

8 Likes

Faurey L’Arte Zele Syrah 2020 Rhodaniennes Northern Rhone
This is a sumptuous beautifully integrated wine at 4 years of age. Dark fruit, olives and smooth tannins.

9 Likes

Great evening with Marques de Murrietta and some classic Rioja. WOTN definitely the Capellania white Rioja though the steep price is not going to get me to buy some. The Ygay is even pricier at £300 a bottle - very good but definitely not 5 times as good as the Gran Reserva which I really enjoyed. Apparently Ygay Blanco is £1,000 a bottle which is probably just for billionaire wine trophy hunters.

9 Likes

Staying in Spain for tonight’s aperitif. A brilliant manzanilla with some delicious salted almonds. Life is good!

11 Likes

cant get spanish wine, all boring and low quality IMO
Martin

Spain for me too. Vina Ardanza Reserva 2012 drinking really well.

@Martinzero that’s a very sweeping statement on Spanish wine. I haven’t explored much outside of Rioja and Ribera del Duero but there’s plenty to like there for me.

5 Likes

On reflection, you are right, I just think i’ve been unlucky or ill-informed on my choices
Thanks
Martin

1 Like

Got this white wine at an Italian restaurant and was very excited. Immediately ordered 6 bottles when I got home.

They describe it as: Bucci Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico 2020 is an aromatic white wine with aromas of apple blossom, citrus notes and hints of fennel. In terms of taste, it is fresh, extremely fruity and sophisticated. A wine with medium body, sparkling acidity, a slightly creamy mouthfeel and a long, mineral aftertaste.

Bucci Verdicchio 2022

bucci_classico_1

4 Likes

Looks like a whole world of opportunity just opened up, Martin. While I have a fair amount of rioja, I find wines from other regions generally more interesting. We are big fans of sherry which has quite a variety of styles to explore. I am increasingly enjoying the garnacha from the Sierra Gredos not far from Madrid as these tend to be lighter and more expressive especially in the hands of Daniel Landi (Comando G for example). I also enjoy whites from Galicia that benefit from the Atlantic maritims influences.

3 Likes

Thanks QB

I’m a huge fan of Pintia. Ribeye steak cooked on a bbq and a bottle (or two) of Pintia with good mates to share and laugh into the evening.

2 Likes

Thank you for the comment Peter.

I found Pintia many, many years ago. We had many family and friends sessions with Pintia in 2000-2010. It was a spectacular wine at the right price.

For reasons I do not understand, the owner feels necessary to include in the label the connection to Vega Sicilia. I miss the old, simpler label, and the old price.

But really one of the best wines from Spain, which is saying a lot.

100% revisit. Spanish wines are fantastic quality. They’re no fools, their v best (equal to grand cru Bordeaux’s) they keep to themselves

Slightly ageing-still good with brill, samphire, Parmesan mash.

4 Likes

Four bottles of San Miguel.

NICE.:blush:

1 Like

There are some fabulous Spanish wines, particularly whites. One of my current favourites is Attis Nana, an Albarino from Rias Baixas. Lots of fruit beautifully integrated with oak.

6 Likes