Which wine are you drinking? Tell us about it

Interesting 67PM tasting coming up soon…

9 Likes

Strangely unappealing in those bottles…but probably tastes wonderful.

1 Like

The wine will be transferred to glasses before tasting!

1 Like

It’s a good way to taste without the huge outlay

I’ve been introduced to this by a friend who has very kindly sent me a bottle to try out

Interesting story as the vineyard is run by an english couple

Seems quite youthful for the vintage with attractive cassis and hedgerow flavours, very reasonable value too

4 Likes

I find that Banyuls marries wonderfully with chocolate (I’ve not had that particular one though so take my comment as general)

1 Like

Now that’s a good recommendation. Thank you.

Julicher 99 Rows Pinot noir Martinborough 2016

This is the second wine of Julicher estate and £13 here in NZ
Translucent red with some early bricking. On the palate very seamless and integrated. Some dark cherries but palate seems be be two thirds forest floor and barbecued beef. It is very refined and smooth with a cats tail of vivacious tannins and acidity to finish.

4 Likes

‘Sherry’ from outside the demarcated region. A step up from a typical Chiclana fino.

4 Likes

Sunday Lunch with Hableton Prestige Cuvée to start Jean Luc Organic Cote di Rhone

7 Likes

One of the best English sparkling wines.

2 Likes

Showing beautifully today, did not last long with some smoked salmon nibbles

Perrin family ‘Les Cardinaux’ from the Co-op round the corner. Very decent, lovely balance of fruit, alcohol, tannin, and acid.

After an afternoon outside working in the sunshine, I wanted something warming when we came into the shade to eat.

2 Likes

Madrid vermouth, complex and not too sweet. Very good.

8 Likes

Last night’s very nice Beaujolais from Guy Breton. Very good with roast guinea fowl. I am finding that quality Gamay can be as enjoyable as Burg for a fraction of the orice

6 Likes

So tonight a friend and I shared a 67 Pall Mall tasting at home of the amazing wines in the photo. Jane Anson on Zoom talked through the background to why these wines are so special and what she was taking from the tasting. It was an amazing experience to taste all the first growth bordeauxs from a great year, one after the other. And then finish with the d’Yquem. I think a once in a lifetime experience…

13 Likes

I’m sure it was mentioned, but Jane (Anson) is not a massive self-publicist, so I should mention that her recently published book “Inside Bordeaux” is authoritative, comprehensive, and as beautifully presented as it is written.

Disclaimer: Jane is a friend, but no commercial connection.

5 Likes

This thread has given me so much pleasure that I would like to contribute.

I’m fairly new to appreciating wine and this thread has already proven both educational and expensive particularly during lockdown. I mainly buy wine by the bottle unless I love something.

Please let me introduce you to a wine I love.

I really enjoy Italian reds and have a soft spot for Amarone. I’ve been drinking this wine for 15 yrs and do indeed buy it by the case. It’s exclusive to M&S and retails for £26.

It’s beautiful on it’s own, with a taste that evolves in complexity and depth over a couple of hours. It is magnificent with cheese though and has been used to demonstrate how the characteristic of some wines is transformed with food pairings.

10 Likes

A glass of Dubœuf Brouilly while cooking penne with a simple tomato sauce with garlic and chilli. Somehow everything tastes better outdoors on a beautiful summer evening.

6 Likes

I’m always on the lookout for his Fleurie too, very nice range and decent value

3 Likes