Who is cleaning his lps without a machine and why

Ah yes, normally it must be mixed in X 50 quantity of distilled water.

1 Like

I lightly hold a soft cloth on the spinning disc to collect excess water before vacuuming. I do not see it as a hazard anyway.

I did whatever was said on the bottle, though from memory it was a bit vague!

I found isopropyl distilled in water easier to use and no need to rinse a lot .
But wanted to try something else. I think the Art du Son is more indicated for RCM machine.

Agreed

Well I’m not sure if this qualifies as a machine, but I’ve been using it for years

Claude

4 Likes

I feel it’s not very different from by hand washing :smiley:

Keep it in the fridge and it doesn’t do this.

1 Like

I am more on your side now. Some guys use Clearaudio matrix 6k machines, some use RCM and Uktrasonic ( both!).
I am searching a quick and easy way to clean, with something taking little place and not expensive.
I am waiting for the Groovewasher cleaning fluid for now. So still on your side.
But this non expensive little ultra sonic machine is going through my mind…

2 Likes

Spin clean is the exact same thing I use, I also made my own vacuum machine, kind of primitive, but works good.

2 Likes

This thread has me lol! All the expensive gear, cable dressing, Fraim Racks. And then The single most important piece of equipment for any serious Record Collector or Lp lover is actually dismissed by some? Blows my mind. Fwiw when I was into Vinyl almost 20 years back now I cleaned everything on a VPI 16.5 and then all lp’s went into Mofi sleeves. Discwasher’s hahaha

3 Likes

Not sure if you are referring to my post, but I am not a serious record collector by no means. I scrapped all my records from the 70’s and 80’s, they were all badly scratched and warped. I only have about 40-50 albums right now.

1 Like

Nope just a general observation, not aimed at anyone in particular :grinning:

This the PHK home made RCM made by a guy in Brazil I paid about £100 + £29 for a wet vacuum. It’s actually quite small and if you use your own vacuum first removing excess water then it could work for you.

I admit it doesn’t look pretty but it does the job properly and stores away easily.

phk

1 Like

Opus could be right if vinyl was a primary source and if the user had a very large collection.
RCM machines are big , take space, and are noisy. Not for me for sure, specially as I listen generally about 2 hours a week.
The ultrasonic machine I posted above is vertical, take much less space and is quiet. And doesn’t cost 2,5 k euros.

There has to be a point where a persons record collection justifies the expense of buying or making (in my case) a decent record cleaning device. At what point that would be must vary from the size of the collection to the quality of the replay kit or to how seriously the owner takes his or her music. Any form of cleaning must be better than none at all

@opus is 100% right, for the serious vinyl listener a cleaning machine should be a first priority, Ivor Tiefenbrun famously stated that it was source first, and whichever way you look at it the vinyl disc is the source, if that isn’t the best it can be then no turntable on this planet will ever get the best out of it.

Justify what you can, even a bar of soap and a rinse under the tap is better than nothing (or PVA glue)

I am using the Art du Son since 2 weeks now. I observed that it needs a repetitive rinse to really work fine.
If well rinsed , it’s very effective. However it’s a bit painful. You need several rinses with a microfiber to remove all the fluid and dirt.
Will compare soon with the Groovewasher.

Finally, after a lot of wondering, I bought a machine. Sorry guys, our roads get separated now.

7 Likes

This is a joke right? I’ve gotta say this but what kind of idiot would do this? It’ll ruin the labels and if one was stupid enough to use any drying cycle the vinyl will probably warp from the heat. Please Rooster this is just French humor? Yes? humor?

1 Like

Rest easy. It’s a gag… it’ll be short spin cycle to dry em tomorrow… :grin:

1 Like