Who’s Pairing 252DR/250DR?

The Nds needs probably more” network boost “ than the Ndx2.

1 Like

Simon,

Thank you for the clarification.

Nevertheless, the NDS and NDX2 are separated by several years of development. I haven’t heard the NDX2 but am wondering if the engineering efforts could compensate for the higher level of the NDS chips to bring both machines kind of on par.

most of the new engineering design in the ND555 is in the streamer front end - routing of digital signalling and reduction of EMI compared to the NDS. To hand i don’t have the details on the SHARC processor between the two, though I think the new streamers use the latest 4th generation Analog Devices SHARC processor - but the PCM1704K converter is a relatively old and factually discontinued chipset - its just Naim know how to get the best from it.
Sure the NDX2 uses a newer converter, the PCM1791A - but its implementation is undertaken within the constraint budget of the NDX2. Sure if Naim had the finesse they have developed around the PCM1704K with the newer converters for greater budgets the fictitious NDS2 (building on the NDX2) potentially could sound better :slight_smile:

I’d add the discrete voltage regulators which positively impact both digital and analog boards, among a few other things…

Don’t forget, the NDS is a “head-unit” only, so the layout can be optimised and greater distances implemented between analogue and digital stages. Also, the NDS has a sprung loaded and floating main board, so a few advantages there for the NDS.

1 Like

Did the NDS not have DR as well?

1 Like

No, it doesn’t.

After comparing both white papers and read what Steve Sells has to say about its internals, it seems pretty clear that there is a lot of work, changes in design and componentery involved around The ND555 developpement.

All things considered, the ND555 obviously isn’t simply a “revamped” version of the NDS, as some seem to imply.

In its dual PS configuration, it performs extremely well. That second PS is, in my opinion, a necessary addition.

Of course, it doesn’t share the same playground as some swiss made dacs I had to opportunity to hear, still it isn’t that far.

All in all, it is an outstanding dac/streamer, in its dual PS configuration.

Indeed a few of us on here were invited to Naim at the launch of the new streamers and we were presented with a presentation of the ND555 differences over the NDS. Although there were tweaks and improvements everywhere including the analogue circuitry , the main benefits from memory were the new streaming front end, digital signal routing including LVDS, improved decoupling, improved clock, colour screen, Zigbee and very much improved design to reduce EMI.
I can’t remember a slide on DR though… but that is probably my memory.

Two years ago we planned some days off in the UK, and a visit to Naim’s factory. We ended up going to the isle of Barra. It would have been interesting, but the seals on the shores were such an enjoyment to my young daughter! No regrets.

As for the DR thing, as I understand it, it is one of the major improvements on both the analog and digital boards.

2 Likes

Did you land on the ‘beach runway’?

G

Unfortunately not, we came by car. We landed in Edinburgh then took a ferry in Oban. On the way back I couldn’t resist a pilgrimage to the Ben Nevis. I wish I could spend a winter there and try some gulleys. Scotland is such a beautiful region.

2 Likes

Hi Simon, the ND555 does have extra DR regulation internally compared to the NDS. There is a secondary PCB under both the DAC and Filter boards where the DR modules sit. Just took a look at a couple of my photos from that day and noticed the extra boards.

1 Like

Indeed, and that’s pretty well detailed on the ND555’s white paper.

Yep.

Yes we are blessed with seals around the British isles. Blakeney Point in Norfolk is a popular visit, where you can take a small boat around the seal rocks… it’s fantastic.
You can see seals in the Thames estuary as well, earlier this year, before lockdown, we spent a weekend at Westcliff on Sea near Southend in Essex, and at the end of the pier… which is 1.3 miles long, you could see the seals looking up at you with curiosity… lovely creatures… and we see them locally too in Suffolk.

1 Like

Back to the OP’s question, not exactly 252DR/250DR, but very happy still with my olive 52/52PS and 250. Albeit that the 250 has considerably benefitted from a holiday in Chesterfield.

The journey started many years ago with CD3/Nait, then added Flatcap, replaced Nait with 82, then added 2 HiCap equivalents. By then the Turntable had changed from Rega to LP12 and evolved through Hercules, Valhalla to Armageddon and the arm from Ekos to Aro. The original Royd Abbotts have made way for Neat Momentum 4is.

First digital was the HDX, which is still with me, and the Naim DAC with XPS2. The DAC recently replaced by NDX2.

So to cut a long story short, I’m still delighted with the 52/250 and listen to Quobuz on the NDX2 through it more than anything else.

52 vs 82? Relaxed quality, bigger soundstage, better dynamic range - in fact perhaps just say I’m listening more to the music than to the kit.

Maybe one day I’ll try the DR gig, or a 500 series PSU on the NDX2, but more likely to spend seriously on the LP12 and cartridge first.

1 Like

NAC252/SC/NAP250. All non-DR (mid 2000s vintage). I always thought of the 282 as a 252 with no real good power options. The 252 takes full advantage of the SuperCap which the 282 can not do. Even a Stageline sounds good into the SC-powered 252.

Of course, if I was independently wealthy, I’d have a 552 but I’m not, so I don’t(!)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.