Who’s Pairing 252DR/250DR?

Well I will still have my NDX2… CDX2 and NAT03… although no analogue preamp for the latter

Yes I may well do … it will be 3 years young.

1 Like

Interesting move Simon!

I wondered, several times, how the Dave + Ultima 6 combo would sound.
Small footprint and most certainly great sound.

There is a showroom at 15 minutes by bike. I’ll probably listen to that combo.

What speakers are you planning to use with your Chord system?

The danish manufacturer Raidho produces fine speakers that could nicely blend with a Chord system.

There is a small chance I move to China next year. So I’m considering a smaller/compact system (and leave the enormous Naim multi-box system in Switzerland).

The system I thought of is Dave + Ultima6 + Raidho XT1 (a four boxes system, including the speakers!)

I look forward to read your first thoughts on the Ultima.

My ATCs… the grip from the Etude is rather dramatic

1 Like

The one thing I believe is missing in Chord’s offer is a streamer for the Dave (same form factor). That would make a nice little stack : Dave+streamer+Etude.

Well that is a change of opinion, not long ago you stated that you much preferred the Dave to the TT2, which I never understood. I would think the TT2 with Mscaler would drive your headphones much better. I am going to look up the Ultimate amp, even though I am not looking myself. Are you using the Chord preamp, or just the Dac/Pre feature in the Dave and TT2?

Indeed… I have found they key aspect is synergy and setup.
The DAVE is initially impressive, but after a while I find it a little lacking for my tastes.
DAVE works very well on ambient live recordings, but can sound a little forced on other material after a while. If you were to look back, that has been a consistent view of mine.

The interesting bit is the mscalar… it certainly can improves DAVE and TT2, but does also create an RFI edge that detracts albeit I can minimise to some extent … but I am looking at other considerations to minimise more effectively.

As far as driving headphones I agree, it also seems to drive amps such as the Etude better than DAVE in terms of dynamics and bass slam with my ATCs… quite surprised at that. The key with the TT2 is the hi gain setting I have found.

Out and out detail it’s clearly the DAVE, but after a while I feel it’s too forward and hard… the TT2 is smoother and has a weightier sound that I prefer.

2 Likes

Back to topic.

I had the 282/HC with a non DR 250. Then moved to the 252. Always missed something. Replacing the 250 with a 300DR was a great move.

Now have a 552 which is great but probably too much for the OP.

If I’d had to redo it, I’d stay at the 282 level, then going to the 300 and finally getting the 552.

I must say that the source has to be factored in. The NDX2 seems to be great. It didn’t exist when I had the 282.

2 Likes

What was the thing you missed from the 282 when you got a 252? I’ve got a 250dr, and are planning a pre amp for it. I’ve got my heart set on a 252, but having heard neither the 252 or 282 that’s mostly been on the reports that the 252 sounds more laid back…

I didn’t miss anything… I found the 252 hugely beneficial and a major step forward all around… perhaps speaker dependent.
To me the 252 is very close to the 552, and in some areas possibly even matches it, albeit the 252 is hugely finicky on cable dressing and support to sound its best. The 552 seems more tolerant of support.

3 Likes

I found that the 282 was more lively and had a higher foot tapping factor compared to the 252. But opinions diverge on the subject (see Simon’s post here above). I also reckon that it’s a question of personal taste.

I know it is often difficult to arrange for useful demos at the dealer’s shop or at home and that most of us outside Great Britain are not in a position to organise one. I encourage you to do it if you can.

I must add that at around the same time I moved from the 282 to the 252, I replaced my CDX2/XPS by a NDS/XPS streamer which also was kind of laid back. Thus, I found the combination less exciting than what I got previously.

The picture changed quite a bit with the replacement of the NDS now paired to a 555PS by a ND555 and then adding a NAP300. But these changes have taken place over 7 or 8 years and it was quite an investment.

2 Likes

My experience with the 252 versus 552 is rather different.

I had the opportunity to compare them side by side in my own system, paired with a NAP300DR.

I swapped them a couple of times.

Going back to the 252, after a week with the 552, is a quite a choc.

In my experience, the 552 outperforms the 252 in all audiophile areas.

Of course, it’s not the night and day thing some report. It never is. But the expression translates the surprise, which is very real (at least in my experience.)

Interesting comments, I compared the 282 and the 252 in a side by side demo several years ago at my local dealer preferring the 252 in the system that I purchased the source as a NDX/XPSdr and 250dr amplifier.

I upgraded to a 300dr and just over two years ago ordered a NDX2 but my dealer let me have his ND555 out on demo and after hearing it in my system resistance was futile

I have had a couple of problem with my ND555 which required it to be returned to the Medical Centre at Naim H/Q.

The dealer loaned me a NDS on the first occasion and a NDX2 when I had the second problem.

Having never heard a NDS before I came to much the same conclusion as yourself it was very laid back. I thought the NDX2/555ps combination was absolutely superb, different rooms, different systems and more importantly different ears.

Glad to say the ND555 has settled back in nicely and ready for a winter of musical enjoyment.

1 Like

Don’t know if this is kind of off topic? But out of curiousity. Is the NDX2 the better player compared to NDS? And is NDS laid back compared to ND555?

All the best
Lucifer

IMHO the ND555 is better than the NDS, more precise. It transmits the musical message much more clearly. The NDS is more laid back indeed. In addition, ND555 supports Qobuz natively and streams the Hi-Res files effortlessly.

The interesting comparison would be NDX2 vs NDS powered by the same supply. If rather equal sound wise, the NDX2 would be interesting because of the added convenience.

3 Likes

I couldn’t have put it better regarding the ND555 verses the NDS.

I have had all three playing through my system with reference to the NDS against the NDX2 powered by a 555ps a tough choice but I think I would favour the NDX2 for it’s musical qualities combined with the new streaming platform incorporating Qobuz etc as I said a tough choice indeed.

This are unlikely to sound equal - (and to my ears they definitely don’t). The NDS like the ND555 uses Naim’s top flight PCM1704K DAC implementation, current to voltage and analogue output filter stage - all on suspension.

The ND555 however builds on the NDS by reducing the noise floor from the digital circuitry as well as adding new streaming functionality and robustness as well as a more stable clock

The NDX2 uses a different DAC converter and implementation as well as different circuity for the analogue stages… very good … but also not in the same league as the NDS and ND555 - and I am an NDX2 user.

2 Likes

272/250/xps was where my Naim journey started. For the money, a great value and a really nice system.

When I bought the Nds, it was paired to my ex Xps2, and connected directly to the router.
I have sold the cdx2 to finance it and was doubting if I have made a good choice.
It sounded more detailed and spacious but less involving and urgent vs the cdx2. I was a bit disappointed during some months.
However today, adding a separated ER switch, linear ps, quality ethernet cables, Melco…it’s just another streamer. The Cdx2 is left far behind, on all criterias.
It’s perhaps why some here find the Nds boring. Without tweaking it, which represents an absolute necessity, i agree that the Nds can sound laid back.

2 Likes

Very true, it is how a component integrates with the rest of the system and room etc so many variables can come into play.

1 Like