Why has Naim still not fixed their app

I was thinking of putting mine in but the talent of the guys in this thread has put me off.

If I were fixing these bugs I would needing to review the requirements documentation, API spec (local and 3rd party), systems design, dependencies etc. and I’d even have to look at the code. This would give a view as the complexity of the fix and the effort required to fix and test the bug.

The fact that these guys know how simple these bugs are to fix without all this nonsense takes them way above my level of expertise.

2 Likes

You don’t need these things to understand that the add/edit items is a common, typical task on any project with the User Interface. Such typical tasks usually are the simplest among other.
Say, the networking is much more complex than any UI exercises in application such as Naim’s one.

The fact remains that you have no idea how the application is designed or how it works so at best all you can do is speculate unless you have sight of certain artefacts.

For somebody who touts themselves as an IT professional with 25 years of experience your lack of insight and experience is breath-taking.

2 Likes

Auralic’s control app is IOS only. Apparently they did develop an Android app, but due to their experience with the fragmentation of the Android ecosystem, decided not to go public with it. Possibly they were wise? When asked what Android users should do, Auralic’s suggestion is to use alternative software such as the Android BubbleUPnP app. This is made a little more straightforward because their streamers are OpenHome compatible out of the box.

Incidentally, this does makes me wonder how hard it would be to make Naim streamers and all-in-ones OpenHome compatible. I know this can be done indirectly by running Bubble UPnP server on the network but this does require setting up and a device to run the software. Being able to simply download and use an alternative control app might just appease a little of the frustration of Android users.

Roger

1 Like

It is working for me now on an iPhone app. I did have a problem that it took ages to find UPNP players which appeared a few weeks ago. However, that problem has gone as mysteriously as it had appeared. I haven’t seen the problems that you have. However, such problems do appear in apps as things change. I have a Tesla so am quite used to such glitches.

Sometimes I read through the community summaries and other times I couldn’t be arsed. Today I did and sorry I find your comment somewhat offensive to the post. I have read some your comments in past, you have even answered some of my silly questions and they are always helpful and informative so I’m not sure what that was about.

In my opinion that’s the problem with these forums and addicts of a certain products. I saw the same when I went to photography exhibition with the Leica click (and I have one myself but I’m not married to it).

Although most of my equipment is Naim I’m certainly not married to it and still believe the best sound I ever heard was from a tube amp.

Rarely come on here, refuse to do social media and I believe I’m a better person for it. I just enjoy the music.

Summer is here so see ye in another 6-12 months.

3 Likes

That really illustrates the point. Questions asked sensibly and nicely, such as yours clearly are, will get answered. Rants will be often be ignored and usually reflect poorly on the ranter.

2 Likes

Hi @Pauel ,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have managed to recreate this issue internally, and it will be addressed in an upcoming release.

Kind regards,
Liam

11 Likes

Interesting thread. I use the Naim app with Apple kit and do not have that many irritants. I tried Roon but iPhones would not work Qobuz, basically the search function wouldn’t engage. Roon support weren’t really interested in helping, I really didn’t want to get into what switches, s

Arrgh, sent before completing. Any way didn’t want to have a deep dive into what switches, software, plugs and hardware I was using every time there was an issue so decided Roon was not for me and cancelled free trial. I use Naim app without too many irritations and other apps which I find clunkier or less responsive. My sense is the Naim app compares well.

That is incorrect, within in the Naim ecosystem, the active playlist is held in the streamer and NOT the UPnP server.
Remember unless you are casting a UPnP media stream with a third party application (pushing media data to the streamer) the Naim streamers are designed for optimum performance to pull media into the streamer. This optimisation becomes even more apparent with the current generation of Naim streamers, where vagaries in UPnP server performance and home network throughput can be more mitigated.

Regarding Naim app… it is basic but I guess minimally viable. I don’t use it much, I use Roon or Zigbee for convenience, but when I do use it I don’t have issues, I have multiple servers.

With multiple servers, it is worth while checking they are playing well together or on seperate ip addresses. Also I used to use an IGMP querier to optimise network and UPnP discovery… however quality isp routers like the SH2 from BT have an IGMP querier built in underneath the covers silently working.

Unfortunately in my experience, consumer wifi solutions can often be the culprit. In the old days the problem used to be ISP router switch ports… these tend to be fine now and work as a regular switch would do, however the new boogeyman are some of the fancy consumer wifi /wifi mesh solutions and their inter working with Android or iOS for certain applications or methods.
I suggest much consumer stuff (wifi network products) is optimised for web based protocols (http/https using TCP) … this is the world of social media, web, streaming etc… when it comes to control applications… certainly using network groups such as used by SSDP then things can get a bit precarious… though with more and more internet of things and increased optimised support of ipv6… I expect this to improve over time…
I find BT SH2, Ubiquiti WAPs, and Cisco switches to reliably provide a network to support Naim and others control applications using multicast groups

2 Likes

Interesting interview with Tony Fadell, apparently the inventor of the iPod, on Today on R4 just now. It seemed suddenly relevant here. The takeaways:

Engineers tend to ask, how? They should focus on, why?

Products have to work for their owners on an emotional level as well as a rational level.

Products should take away the ‘pain’ of the user.

4 Likes

You’re doing too many assumptions instead of trying to reproduce the issue. The facts are:

1. Regardless of the playlist activity, the bahavior is absolutely the same
  2. Regardless of the active input, the behavior is absolutely the same(i.e. edit Qobuz playlist when playing from Spotify/Tidal/etc.)
  3. The playlist is correctly synchronized with the Qobuz, which is trivial to check by opening the Qobuz mobile and inspecting the particular playlist
  4. If you kill and reload the Naim app, you see the correct result
    So, these 4 things are the proof that the issue is on the visual side. Is it clear?

Maybe these 4 things are difficult to understand for those who do not have any experience with software development/testing. I can explain better if you need.

Exactly!

1 Like

You clearly don’t hang around here much!

3 Likes

SiS is correct, the active UPnP playlist is held at the streamer.

For Qobuz this may be different and is dependent on the Qobuz integration API.

Those 4 characteristics do not ‘prove’ that the issue is on the visual side, look at my post showing the possible alternative locations for the fault.

I used Naim app on both Andoid and IOS, experiencing no issues. What kind of problems are you experiencing?

1 Like

You have 136 posts to read first :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

For all Android app users, there’s a good news. New Android app coming soon

1 Like