Why has Naim still not fixed their app

My attempt to lighten the tone and avoid us being pulled in to a black hole troll zone.
Looks like the blu tack on the head shell suggestion didn’t work on this occasion…

3 Likes

I’m talking about the strange behavior of the track removal feature - it behaves differently every time I try to remove.
As you can see on my screenshop, the app removed everything except the track I requested to remove. Every time the result is different. So, your example with Squeezer is not relevant.
I’d try Tidal, just to check if it has the same issues, however, I need a cooldown.

It’s not about the money I guess. As I said above, part of the appeal is not needing an additional remote. There’s a reason many things are moving to app controlled. Buying an iPad to control the Naim would mean I not only having an additional remote, a fairly large one at that.

Fully agree. Also, let’s stop pretending Naim is doing something unique by having both an Android and iOS app. Many companies do, including many competitors. How they do it we don’t know. If Android is more complex to develop, perhaps it needs a higher investment in development or testing? Perhaps that’s the choice others make? I don’t know. But Naim don’t give off the impression they care about the disparity, they seem clearly happy to have it fall behind as nothing has changed there over the past few years.

As an example which I’ve mentioned them before, the lock screen widgets/notifications. It’s been over two years since iOS got them, but no sign of them on Android. And every other music playing Android app I use has had them since forever. And that’s not only apps by large companies with a lot of developers. Rovi was mentioned in this thread as well being only on iOS. Or in-app help is another one.

Not correct.

You can check it on your own - start playing using, say, Spotify. Then touch the Qobuz icon in the Naim app and try to create and edit the playlist, add/remove tracks, etc. So, the streamer is busy with Spotyfy, and the naim app is busy with qobuz playlist.
Where is the tight realtime in this equation?

I own a Uniti Star with DAB extension; with the Android app I try to add a DAB station to the preset list; when clicking on the star, it gets filled, but the preset is not added to the preset list on the device, when opening this; 100 % reproducable; comment of support; have you tried it with the IOS app instead of the Android app, Ugh ?
CD player : I select on the app “no shuffle mode” (odd that shuffle is the default mode) . After restarting the player from standby, in 50 % of the cases mode is agin shuffle.
When turning on a paired bluetooth device (e.g. tabled or laptop), sometimes the Uniti Star switches to bluetoots, even without selecting bluetooth on the remote device as output channel.
Since I own the device it has at least crashed 10 times; is anyone looking at the logs ?

External playlists (i.e. defined by an externally implemented API provided by an internet stream provider) are held in the Naim Ap’s data space but are managed through that provider’s API. The Naim Ap’s finite state machine tracks the state of the stream going to the streamer in real time.

Native playlists when using Naim’s implemetation of DLNA are downloaded to the streamer. The Naim Ap’s finite state machine tracks the state of the stream going to the streamer in real time.

The Naim Ap is multithreaded: just because it’s working with a Qobuz playlist (through the Qobuz integration API) doesn’t prevent it from having threads monitoring the current data stream.

1 Like

Blimey, I just listen to music, rather than playing with it. No wonder I’ve never had any app issues.

G

14 Likes

Is it too late to put in a CV?!

Or you are using the iOS version, because I can’t even open the app on Android without the known unresponsiveness issue.

Different people have different use cases and therefore hit different issues. Not hitting them does not make your usage pattern superior

2 Likes

Perhaps bear in mind that to properly test the Naim app, it needs to be tested on hundreds of variants of the Android platform with many dozens of network DNS server / DHCP server / NAT table / firewall / router / WAP / TA combinations (either integrated into an ISP Router" or separate), implementing many different selections of enabled and disabled network protocols. Resource allocation for such wildly extensive testing isn’t commercially viable for small companies, so there are bound to be combinations that prove troublesome.

I may have to open a Jira ticket on this thread, “Repeat statement stuck, user unable to change state”.

5 Likes

As I said, everything is fine with the external playlist - if you restart the app or open the playlist in Qobuz app, the items are in their places and the chosen track has been removed. So, the issue is just visual, on the Naim application side.

I resigned and accepted half a year ago. However, I do refuse to resign on every issue I bump into.

:rofl:

Personally, I used the Naim app on Android for a few weeks and then switched to Roon. (At the time, 1.5 years ago, the unresponsiveness was much worse and the Naim app was close to unusable with 2000 Qobuz favorites).

It works and provides lots of features that the Naim app does not have and does in fact not need for the use cases it is aimed at. (But features that I need)
Very happy now, and no need to complain about the Naim app

It’s clear that between Quobuz and the Naim app there is an issue with updating UI FSM in real time (but not on system refresh from the remote Qobuz server)… so, where does the the issue lie?
The Naim App view?
The Naim App Document?
The local Qobuz data?
The Qobuz API?
The Qobuz event dispatch?
Elsewhere?
Until you have a definitive answer to this, it’s not appropriate to blame the Naim software team.

As a Roon user use of the Naim App is infrequent but whenever I do use the App it works fine for me.
I’ve never understood this demand for DIY playlists :thinking: so I’ve not experienced any difficulty with them :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve always avoided “Greatest Hits” and “Compilation” albums for this reason.
I’ve enough attention span to play a few albums with just a tea/loo break in between.

3 Likes

That’s definatley Naims fault.

If they’d have limited the number of favourites to 50, there would be no problem. :grinning:

Yes, I was at first told that I have too many favorites