Why I am gaining weight

That’s not breakfast, that’s stoemp, which you can – and I do – eat any time of day. Add that to the chocolate, cakes, frites, pastries, beer and kebabs, weight gain in Belgium is an inevitability!

3 Likes

At least I can cross Madeira off the list of places I’d like to visit. Eating out is one of my favourite things on holiday, which is probably why I love France and Italy. It’s good that everyone scratch cooks, which we do about 95% of the time. If only there was less ultra processed ready meal rubbish we’d all be a lot healthier.

1 Like

Orval, well chosen.

2 Likes

I think it was a little ‘tongue in cheek’ or maybe stating the obvious.

Life’s too short, we should enjoy things if and when we can, preferably in moderation and with as much variety as possible.

3 Likes

YOLO!

(I still have a bmi on the good side of the green zone, trick is to enjoy and squeeze in lots of vegetables)

1 Like

I had a great day in a French restaurant where the personnel only spoke French and a group of 3 Brits only spoke English. They wanted Chips, but the waitress said in French that they only had frittes! After a few mins I’ve stepped in and helped them getting the order done correctly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Spoil sport.

4 Likes

I’m sure that you would find many things for a sophisticated palate in the hundreds of choices in and around Funchal. The ordinary people here could not afford their prices. Hence, rural cafes and restaurants tend to offer a different level. You would be missing out on a beautiful Island. Though some of the popular walks are getting stupidly busy, with some ridiculous parking. It’s gone crazy with tourists since Covid.

Edit - if you see ‘Cozido’ on the menu, DON’T order it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I made some Quinoa Tabbouleh today along with some fresh salmon.
The Quinoa Tabbouleh salad was amazing. Just looking at it made me lose 10 kilo.

1 Like

Polish breakfast. You are not hungry at lunch time. It’s their most important eating time.

3 Likes

I think in Belgium they are still more frites eaters than in France. I like, but in most restaurants the frites are bought freezed and then cooked. The best are when they really do them themselves with fresh patatoes. But it’s rare.

2 Likes

Have you tested Portuguese fried sardines? It’s apparently one of their local specialties.

2 Likes

I miss the drinks. My east Europe friends would not hesitate to order a bottle of Sauvignon blanc or beers with it.

1 Like

TBF, I’ve had great cozido and vile cozido. I think it all depends on who’s doing the cooking and what they chuck in there!

1 Like

A few weeks ago I was trying a red lentil burger recipe.
It required raw red lentils soaked in water for a few hours before being liquidised along with spices.
Being me I was taste testing the raw flavours.
Without knowing the consequences of eating raw lentils.
I can wholeheartedly recommend this method of immediately evacuating some weight from the body.
Also recommend not heading a short distance from the loo.

6 Likes

I’ve not eaten meat for over 40 years, so that would definitely be off the menu.

1 Like

‘Everything in moderation, including moderation’

Oscar Wilde

6 Likes

I got a whole teat in my last Cozido / Cozida

2 Likes

I once had a traditional “hotpot” in Chongqing, China. I identified brain, chicken feet, duck bill, intestine and pork bollocks in it.

2 Likes

Chicken feet and gizzards, plus pig’s feet are quite popular amongst the locals here.

2 Likes