Why this naim system sounds harsh?

ok, that’s a power supply, thanks

thank you, that’s pretty detailed, I wish 500 series is available here.

FCXS is supplied with one Snaic 5. You will need to borrow another Snaic 5 too, in order to complete both upgrades on the preamp.

I will check with my dealer if those are available. Thanks

1 Like

152xs to my ears started to become open and detailed when powered by two power supplies, I found with the single Hicap DR it still had a muddy (bloomed) ish midrange but by adding the flatcap xs it cleaned and arranged the mix. The 152xs is great vfm and I’ve been very happy with it on my journey.

1 Like

Nice , thanks for sharing from your experience, I will check with my dealer if they have the power supplies for 152xs on demo

1 Like

A lesson many of us have learnt over the years is that the bigger the amplifier the better. Back in the UK in the 1970s, shops would sell big speakers with lesser/underpowered amps in the belief this was the way to get the best music. It is 100% the wrong way to do things.

Think of the analogy of sports car, which has very expensive tyres to grip the road but these have heavy rolling resistance, being wide and sticky – these are the speakers.

A not very powerful engine (an amp) in the car will not enable it to go fast and it will struggle, and not maximise performance. Put a big strong engine in it (a powerful amp) and it will have sharp acceleration and great performance.

1 Like

A 200 in good working order and set up properly is not harsh at all. However, a 200 should not be in your specific system and ditto those cables.

2 Likes

so no linn cable then ?

Not harsh at all

1 Like

cool

Regardless how many PSUs to add to the 152xs, the 152/200 will still be completely out of place and underperforming in your setup.

It’s like trying to get a Porsche 911 to perform and handle on wheels & tires from a Renault Twingo. Completely pointless imo.

You already have a fantastic amplifier, which drives your speakers well. The only Naim worth considering is the 552/500. Are you willing to take the risk of spending £50,000 without audition? Do you want a four box amplifier that needs four shelves when you already have something that works well and you are happy with?

Trying the 152/200 is totally pointless, as others have said. So it’s really a case of getting the 552/500 and hoping you like it, or sticking with what you’ve got. Of course people who own a 552/500 will say it’s good, otherwise they would not have bought it. But would you prefer it to your McIntosh?

2 Likes

I would say that looking at the 152xs etc in your system, it is not really well balanced. But for someone like myself with a small amp and speakers it’s more suited . I guess it comes down to budget.

1 Like

@S.L NAC152XS, FCXS, NAP200 will give you a fine demonstration of the Naim amplifier ‘house sound’ in my opinion. My understanding is that a demonstration is all you are seeking at the moment, with your top flight source and speakers. Is that correct?

I feel sure that somewhere in Naim’s literature, Naim say that the NAP200 ‘will drive 2 Ohm loads for long periods’.

1 Like

I’m also doing a home demo for Opus cables, I’m considering to upgrade my cables to Transparent Opus generation 6.
(2 power cables , speaker cable , and Rca.)
Probably one of best cables available on the market. Those cables can bring out the best results from most of other brands. ( non Naim systems).
The total coast of those cables will be around 80% of the price of 500/552 set.

The Pro is I will able to get a very good result from ND555 and MA12000 to my speaker, also I will still able to use those cables to bring out the best from any other amplifiers in future. (if I change my electronics in future. )

The Con is WTF why cables coast that much…

Spending double the cost of your amplifier on cables seems completely bonkers to me, but if it makes you happy, why not?

source ,speakers, mcinotsh amp are mine, only Nac 152xs + Nap200 + linn cable are demo from my dealer.
I’m considering to upgrade my cables for my own system, or trade out my Mcintosh and good cables and go all the way to Naim. but that’s all I can get for demo from my dealer.

If your dealer knows your system, and Naim, I would have some serious questions marks if they provided you this amp combo as a good idea to try/evaluate how Naim amplification sounds in your system. Gosh… :grimacing: :man_shrugging:t2:

cables are coast more then triple actually , mcintosh amp is 18k , it’s a super amp, which is a very good match with my speakers in mcintosh sound signature.
my source coast around triple of this amp.