Why this naim system sounds harsh?

because they have nothing better on demo from naim.

Hi

Comment from the cheap seats…

If it sounds harsh and you get fatigued, do not buy this system: save your money, and enjoy the rather (good system) you have…

2 Likes

Over the last few weeks, i introduced 202/200 in my 3rd Naim system, along with CD5XS DVD5 nSat. I’m still waiting for HC DR and 200DR. Well this system never sounded so sweet, it’s got an airy and relaxed presentation with lots of details in the mid/high. For sure my basement room helps a lot. This system seem even more relaxing than my full 500 system which is constrained in smaller one. Recently our fellow member Max B. came along and confirmed such impression.

“Anything but” means “Absolutely not”.

Reading this thread a couple of questions seem pertinent: What is it you feel is lacking with your present system? What are you trying to achieve?

2 Likes

Yes you said that… but it’s still a bad idea. They should know that and at least should have advised against on what’s very likely - extremely likely - a wrong combination. In the interest of you as a customer and in the interest of the Brand(s) they represent imo.

I asked pretty much the same question in @S.L 's thread ‘500 series replacement?’ of last November.

from my ND555 + Mcinotsh tube+solid state + amati
The Pros is I can listen to my system for 10 hours a day without getting fatigued if I want to, because this system is in my multi purposes room ( home office + home gym + listening room)
I usually spend most of my days in this room if I don’t go out.
The sound i got is very musical , engaging , warm, never get tired from listening. I listen to many type of musics, which is classical, all kinds of strings, pianos. Jazz, vocals, house , deep house etc…

The Coin is Mcintosh is less detailed and focus compare to Naim and some other brands.

I want a system is available to offer me like my current system , super long hours of listing without getting fatigued , very musical for all types of musics. but plus more details.

Is your dealer a Naim dealer, or is the demo kit you’ve borrowed just something they happen to have?
Where are you located?

The BIGGEST Naim dealer in Vancouver Canada :joy:

Is that with headphones? Could the difference be your headphones (what model?) compared to your speakers in your room? The room is a critical part of your system, though oddly often ignored, yet can muddy the sound and conceal detail, as aside from any issues at the bass end.
What is your room like? Dimensions/layout? Do you have a lot of soft furnishing or is it mainly hard surfaces? Do you have any room treatment?

Naim is offering me enough details , musical sounding, warm, engaging …
that’s why I have ND555 and Unit Atom HE .
ND555 is for my speaker system. Amati
Atom HE is for my headphones, Focal Utopia, Sony MDRZ1R

my room not treated , I’m trying to choose my system first and then get my room treatments.
not much furnitures in this room at the moment, not much soft furnishing.
my room more close to a square shape, around 5 X 5 in meters. but not fully squared,

1 Like

Surely your dealer will have higher-end Naim amps to go to hear, even if they’re not available to borrow.

I just went to the store 2 days ago , the highest gear they have in the store is supernait 3

They have a full room of all kinds of McIntosh gears in the McIntosh room , , all kinds of gryphons in the other room , but only atom , nova, supernait in the naim room,…

That’s why I bought my nd555 without demo

After the mullet and the monkfish, if nothing else this thread has given us the Marilyn™. (Visualise an hourglass :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

(Height of room?) How can you get the system right if the room is a problem? I’m guessing your sound is muddled by reflections, which will be from floor, ceiling, and all walls, the worst walls being nearest to sides of speakers or listening position, and behind you unless you sit a good distance from the rear wall. Changing the amp will not make any difference to the effect of the room, though of course may change what is being fed into the room so might increase or decrease ‘brightness’ etc, and increase or decrease the detail that is being muddies in the room.

I believe a lot of dealers have sold off their demo gear due to supply chain problems so this is probably not a great time to be choosing Naim gear. If you want to take a risk and order it blind that’s up to you. I certainly wouldn’t. I would either find another dealer who can give you a proper demo, or just wait and enjoy your already very capable system until proper demos are available.

As for spending huge sums of money on cables, even if you find some that work well in your existing system there is a very high chance that they won’t be a good match for the Naim system you are considering. I would strongly recommend that you use such a system with the standard cables that Naim supply for a few months, and only then consider whether any well matched upgrade cables might appeal. Seems like you have money burning a hole in your pocket!

1 Like

I don’t know your speakers but a 152/200 (slightly out of balance in itself) is way out of place with a ND555.

More to the point, surely, the amp is way out of place with those speakers?

As I say I don’t know the speakers.