Will go vinyl again - advice on updates

Well I put the SC on the 282 as all 3 sources benefited that way. Sounds great think I’ll leave well alone.

1 Like

Easy enough to try the AUX, I put my hicap in its box when I got a supercap DR for the 282. More detail with a hicap but not as fluid. I really should have bought the Burndy and tried 282/hi with SC on the superline but like you I thought the benefit to the other sources would outweigh it. Not so sure about that now I have supercapped the superline but that was only after the supercap became spare.

This is contrary to the consensus, but I found the HiCap the least satisfactory of the 3 options for the SuperLine. I started off using the 282’s Aux, and was surprised by how good it sounded: even though the dynamics were a little soft, the presentation had a very natural, attractive coherence about it. When I switched to the HiCap, the dynamics, bass, and stereo imagery improved substantially, but still left something wanting, and that lovely natural coherence was somewhat lost. Only when I went to a SuperCap (DR) did I get an entirely satisfactory sound. If I was doing it again, I wouldn’t bother with a HiCap.

Regarding the 282, I tried the HiCap on the SuperLine and S/Cap on the 282. I later swapped the power supplies, and (not surprising, given the foregoing), and was happier with that arrangement.

I know it’s not what you wanted to hear, but I did eventually ditch the HiCap in favour of a second SuperCap.

When you use the powered AUX2 on the NAC52 you’re effectively using dedicated windings and power rails from the Supercap.

1 Like

Thank you guys. Of course my answer is to trade my 282/HC for a 552 and put the SC on the SL. I’m now going for a coffee!

2 Likes

I can hear that. Thank you all so much. It sounds so marvelous. Had re-stack the night as I had a hum when TT is placed above 135.
now it has a free shelf underneath and the hum nearly disappeared in total.

For my understanding Prefix K as well as phono boards type k for the NACs were special adaptions of the S type for the Linn Karma and Troika cards. Those won´t provide a higher or lesser amplification factor but a better matching to the Linn phono cartridges inductive obstacles. Nothing more, nothing less, with effects beeing a bit on tonality side.

The Benz Wood SL is asking for an input impedance above 100 Ω what makes the 470 Ω of the Prefix S somewhat matching. This usually works quite well.

Rolf aka Don_Camillo

1 Like

Thanks … as prefix is now fixed inside, this is more difficult to change.
And… works very fine!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.