Will go vinyl again - advice on updates

Yes, absolutely the health of the Hicap will have a profound impact on the Prefix performance, so a service is strongly recommended.

1 Like

Thanks for both informations.
Will go for a service ticket for the hicap :grin:

Drago, Do you send your Naim items to the UK for service, e.g. to Salisbury or Class A, or do you send them to MusicLine via a dealer in Germany?

I have a few items that have been serviced by Class A in the past, and I am very happy with the results. In the near future, I will need to send a few items for service from Germany (555PS, NAP 110 and NAP 250.2) and would like to hear if you or anyone else in Germany has any service preferences.

David

Hi David,

made a Drive in at Musicline today :slightly_smiling_face:
It is nearby an i am able to bring the directly. They are very good. There is also another one, who is doing a good job near Wilhelmshafen. Only know the ones located in the north.

I bought a second hand pair of 135, which had fresh service by Class A. Perfectly done!

In Germany my preference is Musicline (or Focal-Naim Germany, what they are called today). It is the official naim distributor. Very nice guys there.
Maybe I am a little biased as the founder from musicline was the one, who brought me on naim “drugs” :slight_smile:

Hi
Everything is at service… :slight_smile:
HiCap as well as phonosophie TT to get prefix embedded.

Now read in an German forum, that some people prefer the aux2 of 552 over supercap feeding the prefix.
Does this also apply for prefix and hiCap on 52?
I need to give it several test runs … but has anyone have some impressions on it.
@Richard.Dane
I read that you have used prefix with hiCap - had you compared to aux2 on 52?
Thanks

I’d put a dedicated Supercap at no.1. However tended to prefer AUX2 on the NAC52 to a dedicated Hicap for the Prefix (as well as Superline on the NAC552).

Oops… I will do the testing … hopefully I did not spend 400 plus Euro for the recapping for nothing :slight_smile:
Will test 52 aux 2 against the hiCap feeding the prefix.

What was the tonal difference?

The dedicated Hicap can sound good, quite big and dynamic, but a bit less together and of a piece compared to the AUX2. Not sure about any tonal difference though.

1 Like

Will try to stop Naim on Monday from re-capping (if possible). Better wait and listen. But my hiCap would be perfect in Fraim besides p3ps - like brothers :smile:

Maybe I have to buy nat 01 … :slight_smile: :grin:

Hi!

Will see on Monday if I eventually overbought :slight_smile: if so, there is a lot to test and I love testing :o)

When connecting prefix to 52 I will do as follows:

• directly into 2b (power from supercap feeding 52) and the earth-wire of prefix to 52.
  • prefix into hiCap (5din) - from hiCap 4 Pin interconnect 5pin (bought a cable) to 52 socket 2a (Socket 3 is used for dac). And also connecting the earth wire from prefix to 52.

I know - always be aware never ever having 2a and 2b connected at the same time!

There are still some mm boards in my 52.
can they remain inside? Will this do any conflict in grounding and result in humming when boards are inside?
Read, that it is better to remove them soundwise - but if there is no technical issue I would like my 52 to stay unopened :o)

Thanks a lot … project is going really forward … :heart_eyes:

You get a performance boost by removing the existing phono boards from the NAC52, but they can stay if you want to still have MM capability on board.

1 Like

Fine!
Thanks a lot!
Is my connection idea fine and correct? Earth cable is at the same spot on 52 even if not connected to bnc sockets - correct?
BR

Yes, but check whether you get lowest noise with or without the earth cable connected.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

I bought a Benz wood SL with 0,4 mv Output. (Low Output MC)
From my understanding , this is a fine match with prefix S.
Swapping to k will be possible, but more difficult as prefix is currently fixed inside my TT, it is a bigger deal.

I was getting confused because of too much internet reading…

1 Like

My turntable is nearly finished, it is in his final test runs. I am so looking forward receiving it. Prefix is fitted inside phonosophie no 3.
good when you live nearby the manufacturer :slight_smile:

Will power the fresh capped prefix via aux 2 from 52. supercap feeding 52 was capped in 2018.

What I did not found in www is the technical setup when using aux 2. does prefix share power with 52 or is there a special „part“ of supercap psu only going active when aux 2 is used.
This is only for technical interest.

Does anyone know how it is done?

First reply… got my TT back. Prefix fitted inside phonosophie no. 3 perfectly as if it has been made for it.
Installed all today… first impression … feel like 20 again… how could I ever go digital and put my TT away for so long.
Need to listen to Lambchop …
thank you so much for your help…
Will come back with detailed impression soon.
BR

At the risk of hijacking the thread I have a SC(DR) on my 282 and HC(DR) on my Superline. I’ve never tried but would I be better off powering the Superline from the Aux on the 282? Nobody suggest another SC for the Superline!

Regards,

Lindsay

No Lindsay, it absolutely has to be a Supercap DR on the Superline. I’ve tried both Supercap and Supercap DR and the DR is markedly better! :heart_eyes:

Or you can leave matters as they are.

Best regards, BF

Or HC on the 282 and SC on the Superline?
Unless the NAPSC is no longer available.

No problem with hijacking… I am so happy with … now sting… wow… vinyl is so much more real
Triggers my younger days …

Ps: prefix is very fine with power from 52