Will ND555 have a outstanding performance with mcintosh gear?

Fair , people have different taste.
Which brand you find more ingagging to you ?

As said just wasn’t impressed with it, maybe I had far to much expectation for it, but tried it at home and twice at dealers and all the same outcome.
The rossini has 2 separate power supplies built into it, the bartok just one, and they are not huge transformers like naim still use, they work fantastically and are 100% quite, no hum even with your ear on the case, just different design.

2 Likes

I like Naim sounds, PRaT. It is something unique to Naim.

McIntosh has sweet and smooth sounds which a lot of people prefer.

Yes I owned several other brands previously such as Classe, Jeff Roland, McIntosh, Accuphase, Linn, VTL. However, once I found and got used to Naim sounds … I just prefer it.

Sonus Faber is a good match for both Naim or McIntosh.

Lot of people in here use SF.

2 Likes

Well explained
Sounds very quite and well designed.
Make sense, that’s probably why Rossini look much thicker then bartok by a extra power supply.

So you stated with many other brands but end up with naim, that’s cool.
I haven’t demo sonus faber with naim preamp and amp yet , but I will.

I listen to different types of musics, including jazz , deep house , spiritual , vocals , piano and more.
But what I listen to the most is classical and strings . More then 50% overall.
That took me to the sonus faber and McIntosh combo.

I guess naim is a well rounded for all types right?

What types of musics do you usually listen ?

You will find a lot of members listen to Classical Music. You may want to check out the The classical music thread.

You will also find threads for Jazz, Regga, Folk and others… My favorite is the What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested where you can get introduced to what a lot of members are playing on their Naim systems.

2 Likes

Oh nice , I just checked, it’s on top 1 on naim music room right now, very easy to find.

Thanks for the hint.

Sorry for the detour but @JTheKop do you feel that the NAP500 drives the Wilson Alex speakers adequately or easily?

Mostly, I listen Jazz, vocal Jazz and some classical piano and a bit of pop/ rock. What like about Nd555 is the Piano note… just so real and detail.

Sonus and McIntosh are great sweet and female vocal.

I don’t think you will be disappointed with Nd555. You might want to try NDX2 + Naim pre amp / Amp and see if you would like the full Naim sound house. It may help you plan with your upgrade. Other option is dCS + McIntosh + Sonus.

Nowadays, non of the dealers in Vancouver have big system on floor demo anymore, which is unfortunate. If we work with a good knowledgeable dealer, they can help us get what we want best.

1 Like

Haha, hopefully, I am the process of upgrading from Wilson DAW to Alexx V… it will take awhile to move thing out and set up.

My room is not large and I think it will be sufficient to drive them. I have been reassured by Wilson Audio about Nap 500. But I will let the forum know once I get them up and running fully. I have no intention to change the amp.

2 Likes

Yes I read about the outstanding piano notes on ND555.
Hopefully they still have any separated for demo, if not manybe I just have to figure out the naim sound from supernait 3 if that’s possible.

I’m wondering why no dealers have full system on floor demo anymore in Vancover? People don’t like to invest much in hifi ? But it’s a big city with tons of wealthy people.
Personally i don’t have any close friend who is into hifi here, no matter on headphones or speakers , everyone just use Bluetooth… Naim forum is the only place I can really discuss with peoples and learn, and I’m glad this place is exist, it’s awesome .

1 Like

Shortly before Naim launched the ndx2 and nd555 I was fortunate enough to be offered a place on a naim factory visit during which we were treated to a side by side demonstration of each of the forthcoming models. I have to say that (despite some of the folks having misgivings about the focal speakers!) there was a very noticeable improvement in sound quality /musicality when switching from ndx2 to nd555. If you are happy to pay the additional cost, then I very much doubt you would be disappointed with the nd555.

From a strictly financial perspective, the one reservation I have with the digital music gear is the relatively catastrophic depreciation longer term than naim’s pre and power amps. This is simply a reflection on the rate of technological change - hence the once top of the line nds is worth comparatively little. That aside, for tip top digital musical performance the nd555 is my pick of the naim range. Good luck with your deliberations.

Peter

2 Likes

I’d be very very happy with your second system :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, agreed! Digital world is moving fast.

Got it
Thank you for sharing the informations and thoughts about digital source.
I realized most ND555 owners here used to own NDS
I guess ND555 probably will not be replaced by other models in a next few years right? Because Nd555 just came out 2 years ago and the time between NDS - ND555 was about 7-8 years

Both Seattle and San Francisco have a big homeless (and drug) issue! It has been going on far too long, and it is difficult to fix because of the political correctness going on here on the West Coast.

Vancover downtown also ,
I think it’s been like that for a long period of time, but more people choose to stay on streets in pass years, just make streets look bad.

We have an upcoming mayoral race! Quinn_MIT for mayor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that’s a fair assessment but I really don’t know what the life cycle for these products is likely to be.

Peter

1 Like

looks like approx 6 yrs for NDS, and 3+ yrs for ND555 so far…

2 Likes