Will ND555 have a outstanding performance with mcintosh gear?

Vancover downtown also ,
I think it’s been like that for a long period of time, but more people choose to stay on streets in pass years, just make streets look bad.

We have an upcoming mayoral race! Quinn_MIT for mayor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that’s a fair assessment but I really don’t know what the life cycle for these products is likely to be.

Peter

1 Like

looks like approx 6 yrs for NDS, and 3+ yrs for ND555 so far…

2 Likes

When you traded in your NDS to a ND555 with Naim, how many % of value they count for the original price of NDS for a trade in ?
I don’t sell the things I love even they get old, so I don’t really need to worry about resale values, but I might trade in with Naim for newer upgrade in future.

Thanks for the calculations.

I have come to the digital party very late and the computing-type logic which seems very helpful working with these things completely alludes me! I bought an nds pre-owned I had not appreciated that it’s technology was not compatible with (I think - please don’t bombard me if I’m wrong here!!) the likes of Qobuz. I had it for a while but didn’t even bother to use it and sold it on for pretty much the same amount as I paid for it.

Another aspect of this technology - please see various threads on the Streaming Audio section of this forum - relates to where you are best storing music (eg Innuos Zenith, Statement, etc) and what devices to install between your router eg Cisco switch; Etheregen thingy; separate power supplies; ethernet cable interconnects; etc. and the eg nd555. Not an enjoyable aspect for me but you would be well served to give this some consideration in order to establish an overall budget for the digital part of your system. I haven’t checked you profile to check if you have been through all this ‘stuff’ with your current system, so apologies if I have gone off on an unhelpful tangent!

Peter

1 Like

Your dealer sucks if he can’t arrange a demo prior to purchase. You might as well buy from one of the many online Naim dealers who sell at significant discount.

1 Like

What do you mean by “political correctness going on here on the West coast”?

The Nds costed 9k new, and costs 3k , even 2,5k sometimes, now. It’s a big devaluation.
In maybe 5,6 years, the Nd555 will be replaced and will cost probably 5 or 6 k on the second hand market.
It’s annoying. For example my Rp10 was sold 2,5 k euros, and I could get a P10 for 4,5 k.
The Rp10 didn’t lost so much as the Nds.

1 Like

Be careful here. Politics is not allowed

1 Like

i guess that you are not english speaker?

per definition:

1. the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

“women like him for his civil rights stand and political correctness”

However, the people here take it to the extreme!!! and it is not good as I quoted from Solon , the ancient lawgiver of Athens and one of the Seven Sages - “Noting in excess, nothing too extreme”.

Ok, back to ND555 and Macintosh gear. I’d LOVE a ND555 personally. Hell I’d likely take the now bargain NDS which is still fantastic IMHO

3 Likes

Well you just made it political by endorsing some dude for mayor. I’m just asking a person to explain his prior statement. Perhaps you should remove your previous comment.

Unfortunately, the obsessing by many people about these things adds an additional barrier where none is needed. Any good, basic consumer switch works fine regardless of whether fancy switches make a difference. Best to view it just like cables or 0.1 mm turntable adjustments - play with them it you want, but the music will be just fine if you don’t.

And regarding local storage, it’s also an option if you want. But if you can type a username and password, and indeed if you can use an online forum for hifi discussions, you can simply add an online streaming account and be up and running in 30 minutes - even the NDS would have worked with Tidal.

1 Like

Maybe it will be replaced and devalue, but there is absolutely no development in the music streaming area, either now or on the horizon, or even conceivable, that the new streaming platform cannot easily cover. Owners of ND555 will be just fine for many, many years to come if they want to use (and not sell) it

3 Likes

No worries.
Back to the fun stuff!

1 Like

The 1st gen Naim streamers were developed for local streaming from a UPnP server, which at the time meant streaming CD rips which you had saved to network storage. Although the NDS was released in 2012, it used the streaming board that was developed several years earlier for the Uniti and NDX.
When web streaming started to become popular, Naim obviously felt that they needed to respond to customer demand and managed to squeeze Spotify and Tidal support onto a platform that was really never designed for it. This wasn’t straightforward, and clearly took a lot of Naim’s resources to keep it running and minimise dropout problems that some users experienced.
The new platform that the current range uses was very much designed to support web based streams, and to allow support for new services as they emerged. Naim clearly have plans to develop it further, which so far have given us Qobuz and lossless iRadio. Those who demand instant gratification should probably look elsewhere, but I’m sure there will be plenty more to follow before these products are superceded.

1 Like

Thanks for the informations.
I’m fully new to steaming , NDX2 is my first streamer.
I only use Tidal and Radio on my NDX2 so far , it’s super convenient, I love it!
I heard Qobuz got better sound quality compare to tidal .

1 Like

Just a thought — if you are in Vancouver, where FM may still be “a thing”, the old NDX-FM could be worth a look. I like the complete and seamless control of FM and digital from my iPhone. To me the admitted benefits of the NDX2 and ND555 are not enough for me to give up integrated FM.

On the other hand, McIntosh are famous for their tuners, if you are into FM.

Nick

1 Like