Will ND555 have a outstanding performance with mcintosh gear?

so NDS only worth about 30% of the price value on used markets today, but how about if you trade in with Naim for newer models ?
I heard Naim will take back their products with a higher price value if we want to upgrade our system with them, should be more then 30% right ?

I just googled RP10 is a turntable , not a streamer.

ā€¦if you work with a hi-fi dealer over a period of time, my experience is you get treated well. I have been treated well with trade in value of my Naim gear as well as my speakers. All products traded in were originally purchased from the same dealer. Relationships and repeat business equals good value in pricing and trades. Not necessarily Naim specific.

Naim gear has had very good resale value because the products can be serviced for decades. The streamers are not going to fit into that scenario and the value is not going to hold as other analogue products.

5 Likes

Saving a few bucks here and there is not worth it, building a long-term, good relationship with your dealer is more important, it will pay over time IMO.

4 Likes

Yeah, if I own a ND555 I will either keep using it, or upgrade to a newer model with Naim in future,
but I donā€™t know much value Naim will take back their products for trade in.

Thanks for sharing from your experience. thatā€™s important.

1 Like

I bought my whole system with the same dealer.
Thanks for sharing.

My dealer is a nice person, he tells the truth from his own experience, and share his thoughts.

2 Likes

I got my Naim system from HFC Vancouver and have been with them for over 20 years. They are a good dealer, know their products and have looked after me when my gear had problem (which was very often) without much questions. I had 2 products broken with 2-3 months after taking them home. The dealer gave me new units without questions.

People may think all dealers do that ā€¦ not really, at least in Vancouver. So I bought products with confidence.

3 Likes

hey thatā€™s good to know, I feel lucky that I picked the right place.!

1 Like

It would be your dealer who offered you a trade-in price on your used gear. Nothing to do Naim.

1 Like

oh ok, thanks for letting me know that.

I am not so sure as you Suedkiez

Funny how weā€™re all different:

Hmmm. Well, I went for the LK1/LK2 over the Nait because they could handle Linn Saras (way back in the day obviously) and it took me only days if not hours to realise the mistakeā€¦.

I could never get along with the NDS as a viable replacement for the CD555, the instrumental textures were never convincing for me and it simply didnā€™t have comparable dynamism and grip. I found the ND555 a completely different proposition, convincing from the first few bars even with 1x555PS and very clearly superior to the CD555 in my opinion with two.

3 Likes

I agree that the new platform can allow further online streaming services. However the streaming technology is evolving very fast. The quality and level of sound can evolve too.
Maybe future streamers will have optical inputs , much better immunity from noiseā€¦.and other innovations that will render the Nd555/2 much better.
It will very probably happen and the Nd555 will be devaluated the same as Nds.

1 Like

I never had a cd555, so canā€™t offer an option on that.
Glad youā€™re enjoying your your nd555

1 Like

As you say funny how we hear things differently Iā€™ve been using a ND555 for well over two years and as previously reported have had a couple of issues that required it to go back to Naim.

When I had the first problem the dealer installed a loan NDS I had never hard a NDS so I was interested on how it would sound.

To be quite honest I was underwhelmed comparing it to the ND555 for similar reasons as yourself.

1 Like

Itā€™s just software, as long as the hardware can handle it. My laptop from 10 years ago also works just fine for nearly everything, certainly a low-demand task like audio. And surely the second time around Naim made sure that they donā€™t have to develop a new streaming platform every five years. Itā€™s just streaming files from online sources, it really is not a very complicated or demanding thing.

1 Like

I am a self confessed technology ignoramus but when the powers that be decided to change the operating systems from 32 to 64 bit, things changed and numerous software packages no longer supported. The audio world has moved closer to the computer world with digital music and it feels to me that change will come faster now than it ever did in the ā€˜oldā€™ hi-fi environment.

Peter

That because some software was poorly written and assumed 32 bits, so these vendors had to fix it when the operating system changed to 64 bits. However, Naim has full control over the firmware on the new streamers and you are not installing 3rd-party software on it, so this is entirely different.

(The laptop in question is using Linux, like the Naim streamers, and there was never an end user problem with the 64 bit conversion because of having similar full control)

1 Like

What you say above is very logical. To a point. But I suspect is rather wide of the perceived reality of many folks on here and their experiences. The thing about hi-fi is that, yes you can use door bell cable to connect your amp to your speakers; and it may well work, but for most on here thatā€™s not really good enough. Take the nd555 and ps555dr bundle. How much does that cost (rhetorical question)? If you are going to be happy with plugging it into the wall and leaving it at that Iā€™d be much more inclined to suggest to the OP to stick with his ndx2, or maybe even trade it in, downgrade and pocket some change! All these switches, power supplies and cables are a right royal pain but they are a significant contributor to getting the most out of a very significant investment. In my opinion, of course.

Peter

3 Likes