Wimbledon 2022

Anyone else being driven mildly potty by the BBC pushing matches back and forth between channels? And why the need to run trailers between games telling us how wonderful the BBC are? Bring back Becker on commentary I say. I’ll stop moaning now. Come on Draper.

1 Like

‘course, soon as I posted that…

1 Like

First couple of sets between Draper and De Minaur were the most enjoyable tennis of the tournament so far. Looked like the fuel then ran out for Draper though!

The Beeb coverage is generally good but just a wee bit self satisfied and cozy. The dry wit of Andrew Cotter is always a pleasure though. For someone who gave the most anodyne and psychobabble inflected press conferences Konta appears to be a good analyst. Who knew? I actually find the R5 coverage very good, when tennis on the radio really shouldn’t work.

Ultimately it is one of the few events we get to watch for free in the UK so best to cherish it. The ‘BBC is wonderful’ trails are a bit of politicking of course.

Bruce

1 Like

Don’t you think Kyrios is a complete Prat. I’ve lost all respect for him tonight talented as he may be

Kyrgios v Tsitsipas providing great entertainment. Real handbags at dawn stuff!

1 Like

I have to say that I don’t find Kyrgios an attractive personality. And his fooling around shows a lack of professionalism I think.
And sadly he will now get the chance to do it all over again.

That’s just purely a matter of politics so one can’t comment, sadly.

Love him or hate him he does bring entertainment to what’s often a boring sport. For the record I’m definitely not a fan, think he’s got heaps of untapped talent though.

One advantage of watching on iPlayer at times perhaps (I often tune in late to games so maybe the ads are there too). iPlayer video quality is far from what it should be though.

1 Like

Point 1, stopped paying for the BBC years ago so don’t care
Point 2, whats happened to Alcaraz? expected him to be way better against Sinner

Cheers

Reminds me very much of McEnroe to be honest, just not as high rankings wise.

In this day and age the odd naughtiness is perhaps amusing but I think from a brief look at yesterday’s antics he was over the top.

All very well challenging decisions/asking for a more senior review but directly criticising officials should have consequences. ‘You cannot be serious!’ is a bit different to calling the umpire ‘dumb’.

Terrific game developing between Sinner and Alcaraz. Looked like Sinner was walking away with it for the first two sets but the momentum has definitely shifted now.
Nice to see a game played with terrific athleticism, skill and sportsmanship (rather than gamesmanship) from both sides of the net.
The perfect antidote to Kyrgios antics!

1 Like

Well, what a super match that was! (no spoilers here!).
Sitting here alone in front of the TV, yet I still had to applaud some of the play from each of them. Neighbours think I’m mad anyway, so no harm done.
The future of Tennis is in good hands if these two young men’s performances and attitudes are anything to go by.

2 Likes

Thanks will try to watch it or highlights later. Once TTMBO have finished their Netflix binge on the projector (the female of the species have taken over my AV room!)

1 Like

Kyrgios seems to have reformed himself. I just watched the last set of his match today and the TV interview. He was amazing to watch, such a powerful serve and return, although I think his opponent had given up. And Kyrgios was basically normal during the interview.

does anyone know if the Kyrgios match will be on iPlayer later this evening? I missed it…

Did anyone else find the twitchy main view camera in the Nadal match last night extremely irritating and unnecessary, like it was trying to follow the play from one side to the other? Ruined the match until the last half hour when it stopped moving.

The production values of the Wimbledon coverage this year are a bit dodgy imo, it’s like they’re trying too hard to make it more accessible to different audiences and do away with a possible stuffy image. Who was that idiot in the dickie bow and white shirt last night in the links during the Kyrgios match I think it was? Seriously cringeworthy. Overall the tennis has been great though and that’s what it’s all about

1 Like

It was annoying, but surely was in keeping with Nadal’s twitchyness?
While recognising Nadal’s incredible record, I’ve always found his between-points twitches and ‘adjustments’ extremely uncomfortable to watch.
Surely a man of his financial standing would be able to find some shorts which don’t need to be constantly (on every point) dislodged from his butt crack and adjusted around the ‘wedding tackle’ area?

2 Likes

He looks like he’s just walked into a massive cobweb.

2 Likes