World Cup 2022

It’s modern tournament football and it is on the most part about defence, containment and conserving players and energy for the knockout stages.

1 Like

Bruno Fernandes as good as he is is an odious little man who would have given Moon a run for his money as Uncle Ernie.

1 Like

Uh Oh. I was really kinda rooting for the Welsh players tonight.

1 Like

Unfortunately, from a Welsh standpoint I can’t say I’m surprised by the score. Rashford seems to be on fire.

2 Likes

I get the basics to be fair, it’s overall tactics and formations I don’t really have a grasp of.

England perhaps overly cautious in the first half but overall there was a huge gap in quality between the two sides. 3-0 wasn’t harsh on Wales at all. Of course, the true test of England will be when they play a really good side eg France or Brazil. Until then Southgate’s approach seems to get results.

3 Likes

No complaints tonight (unfortunately). There was a huge gulf in terms of quality; our passing and movement was poor - and surprisingly a lack of passion - did they not listen to Michael Sheen? We committed defensive suicide for the second goal; I did have a bit of a question mark over the free kick given leading to the first goal but England took their chances and we really didn’t create anything. Shame but the adventure is over & time to head home for Wales…

4 Likes

Senegal from what I’ve seen are no push over and will be a tough test even before England get to meet one of the Tournament favourites.

If we do get past Senegal our most likely quarter final opponents will be either France or Argentina which could again lead to a Semi with Croatia so it will be far from easy.

3 Likes

Idrissa Gueye is suspended for the England game, which will make things a bit easier. But, they’re a powerful, tough side.

2 Likes

And the U.S. team moves on!

3 Likes

Foden was key today, created one goal and scored another , and not an easy tap in as some media have said.
As a red delighted to see Rashford coming good again, but for me Foden made the difference in this match, has urgency and drives forward with skill and creates space.
Difficult for Southgate as he has a lot of forward options and Saka is very impressive too- will be interesting to see the selection for Senegal match.
Think Wales need to swiftly move on from the Bale/Ramsey era and start the build process

3 Likes

This isn’t a Gerrard/Lampard situation Foden and Saka can and should play in the same system it is Mason Mount who should make way for Phil Foden it wouldn’t surprise me though if Southgate goes with Mount and Saka on Sunday.

He should go with what he believes is his strongest 11 because Senegal will prove our toughest test yet.

Another player issue that non Reds fans like to refuse to accept is Henderson’s contribution to the team when he plays.

There are two points to his game which is fashionable to ignore, yet the same people are happy to accept that Declan Rice doesn’t have, that’s Henderson’s in field leadership/boss mentality and his very often ignored ability to drive forward and make things happen down the right, which incidentally, he has been doing for the entire period of Klopp’s reign at Liverpool.

Where as Trippier gave no service to Saka in the USA game, Henderson and Foden were very energetic and creative last night.

Henderson can’t play every game now but when he does he gives passion and energy and leadership. Credit where it’s due.

4 Likes

Totally agreed JOF (and that’s from a ManU fan!). Klopp has been instrumental in turning Henderson into a much more positive player.

2 Likes

This isn’t a dig at any particular player but I don’t think we will see the emergence of England as a real force in world football along the lines of Brazil and Argentina until the 2026 World Cup when the older members of the squad are retired and players like Saka and Foden in their mid 20’s will be the senior players.

This breed of player would have been developed from beginning to end when the Premier League has ruled the world in terms quality and would have had the best tactical minds from around the world developing them into the very best players in the world.

It will also take a manager of the quality of say Thomas Tuchel to be brought in straight after this World Cup a manager with exceptional technical nouse to be given a long contract to reset the England squad and to begin work with the 2026 finals in mind.

I’m not saying England won’t do well in this competition it wouldn’t surprise me if they did but equally it wouldn’t surprise me if they went out to Senegal.

1 Like

It was nice to see that Wor Kalvin hasn’t lost his touch with the long quarterback pass for Rashford’s second goal, particularly as he’s played very few minutes since his move to Citeh, because of that shoulder injury.

M.O.T.

1 Like

Imo, Senegal would seem to have better players than Wales or the USA. Even without Mane…

I hope everybody is being pessimistic in the hope that they will be presently surprised later on.
England look as good as anybody with the exception of France. Other supposed top teams such as Argentina and Belgium have looked very ordinary.
Drawing with USA was no disgrace as they are fit and well coached as there are no walkovers in international football nowadays.
Everybody that’s come on for England has done a job and I for one look forward to the next game. I’m glad Southgate is appearing to be more astute than many of us gave him credit for.

4 Likes

I agree with you - and thats what I would do if I was Southgate

The danger of that is you end up without balance as Foden would play in a deeper midfield role rather than in a front three. I think he’s better in a front three; potentially Saka on the right and Foden on the left with Mount in behind him. Rashford (and Sterling) to play a starring role from the bench.

1 Like