XPS DR or HICAP 2 DR

Which power supply upgrade will be the most effective, the purchase would be blind as the demo is not possible because there is no naim representative here and the unit has to be imported from another country. Advices would be much appreciated.

When I ran a NDX 2 with a SN 2 I found the XPS DR the upgrade with the most impact for the improvement on sound quality.

My ears, my room, my system.

If you do a search using the term ā€œupgrade XPS DR or HiCapDRā€ you will find 31 threads to read through. I have found that search can be your friend when searching for information on the forum.

Good luck with your decision.

4 Likes

A Hicap DR on your SN3 would benefit all your sources. A XPSDR would significantly improve your NDX2ā€¦

Get both :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

The obvious answer is demo both and choose the one you prefer. Instinctively Iā€™d get the XPSDR first of the two, but actually Iā€™d get a pre-loved 555PS :grinning:

4 Likes

I have only NDX 2 connected to SN3, very expensive advice nevertheless :grin:.

Demo is not possible and even there is no market here for used naim equipment to buy, only option is to buy new and that too import from another country.

The XPS is the one to get.

2 Likes

The HiCap DR is the one to get first, followed with the XPS DR.

2 Likes

Buy what you can afford. Either will be good. Both will be better still.
2 Hicap DRs and XPSDR user here.

3 Likes

Aim to get both. The order probably is not so importantā€¦ :grimacing:

Naim is all about Power Suppliesā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Whichever one you get first, you will eventually want the other one as well. I speak from experience. :smiley:

4 Likes

+1 for Xpsdr first

5 Likes

xps dr definitely, but by crikey iā€™d stretch for a 555 dr (which would outclass an xps dr and hicap dr by a mile, and save you a box!). Did it myself and itā€™s not a mullet, plus, future-proofing your source if ever you wanted to do an amp upgrade.

1 Like

I went XPSDR for my NDX2 first, and then a year later got an HCDR for my SN3.

Inevitably you will end up with both.

4 Likes

So true. Vice versa for me, HCDR first then XPSDR

2 Likes

May I recommend skipping both steps and moving to an ND555 with dual power supplies and a 552/500?

2 Likes

Xps dr for sure every time

1 Like

It probably doesnā€™t matter which way you go the end result will be the same.

1 Like

Surely the S1 pre is the de rigueur suggestion these days :wink: ((with apologies to OP!)

3 Likes

So, I take it youā€™ve tried a 555ps with NDX2/supernait 3? You can argue either way - max-out source so you know what youā€™ve got amp-wise ( ie. ALL that it can do) and take it from there, or as you have done, use a ā€˜lesserā€™ source with better amplification. Which sounds best will be personal and future plans come into it as well. You obviously arenā€™t in the source first camp, which is just fine, but no need to sneer at other opinions. You just look like a tosser.

1 Like