XPS DR upgrade underwhelming

Interesting comments about the XPS. My only experience is with an olive on the CDS2 and XPS2 on the CDS3. No comparison experience. I jumped straight to the 555 for my 272, no regrets there.

The Burndy cable should not be stressed.

It should be as relaxed as possible.

And it should not touch the floor, or any other cable, or the rack, or anything else.

The time when the user often notices how good an Naim external power supply is, is when they remove it from the system, and realise what it was adding.

4 Likes

Thanks Jim. Much clearer than what I was trying to convey. For the OP IMHO it really can help.

Yes, I think the difference may be heard and felt more clearly when listening to live recordings of acoustic instruments in a particular room or hall.

1 Like

Agreed. One of those funny things where I thought “yeah right” but it didn’t cost me anything so why not try. I was pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Hi @akinoshima

Here is some good advice on relaxing Burndies:

2 Likes

Burndies touching other burndies is ok? I have a highway of them between racks and they are horrible on dressing.

Ideally burndies shouldn’t touch anything, including each other. Easier said than done of course. I’ve managed it in the past, but it was a real challenge. All you can do is your best.

4 Likes

It’s a compromise for me. I can have them relaxed hanging free but then they touch each other. I could add some foam between each but then I add mechanical stress. At least they fly free from the floor but only if I have the boxes with one empty level at the bottom…

Why not try some foam? If it makes no difference you can get rid of it and be content with what you have, knowing that at least you tried it. Short lengths of pipe insulation work very well.

2 Likes

Hi Kacper, can you explain this a bit further? Is Your preference for an xps only related to a set up with ndx2 or is this meant in a more general way. Based on opinions in this community, I am looking for a 555dr to connect to my nDac, but will probably not be able to listen at home first. Your views would be appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks @JimDog and @marcusman I have had the XPs for just over 2weeks and I have relaxed my Burndy. I have listened to a whole range of music on it. I plan to give it the weekend and then decide. I have 30 days within which to return it.

3 Likes

We wish you all the best. Your ears/room/speakers(wallet) etc is all that matters.

Having the Burndy cable seated comfortably at both ends can be surprisingly rewarding. Enjoy.

1 Like

I always find Naim PS upgrades fall into two ‘chin’ camps:

1. Chin Stroking. The XPS falls into this category. Sit back, listen hard, stroke your chin, nod and marvel at the subtle, nuanced uplifts.

2. Chin hits the floor. The 555PS falls into this category. Enough said.

G

8 Likes

We added a 555PSDR to our nDAC.

Wow. Certainly no buyers remorse.

Take everything @SimonDC said above about impact of XPSDR and add oodles of enjoyment.

1 Like

Hi @Robert3 ,
Yes, they are related to a set of XPS DR vs 555 PS DR and NDX2. After certain years with the NDX2 and XPSDR, I decided to buy an ND555. Therefore, the first thing I had upgraded was the 555PS DR.
After swapping PSU my thoughts were that something I’m missing (maybe lack of low section,), which I really appreciate it when XPs Dr was there (harmony?).
Of course, it doesn’t sound bad or worse, it sounds different and I believe that’s a matter of taste.

Cheers,
Kacper

The thing about the XPSdr on the NDX is that it changes the character in a way that is highly subjective to personal taste and the result also depends on the amp.

The NDX doesn’t get the love it deserves as a great Naim source. And if you enjoy the sound of crisp digital sources it can delight though not as forward as a CDX2. Now, adding the XPSdr makes the presentation more laid back and analogue sounding (I don’t mean vinyl. Maybe tape smoothness?). If that’s your thing you’re likely to get a lot out of the upgrade. If not, you’re likely to prefer it without.

I mentioned amplification too. The slight mellowing brought by the power supply might also balance well with an aggressive preamp like a 282. But could (I imagine) bore the pants off you with a 52/252.

I love the slight old school analogue sound of the combination. And yes, mine was with a 282. To me, it suits the NDX greatly as it’s not the last word in digital detail and nuance but is a very musical source.

2 Likes

This may just show many variables (including us and our rooms) are involved here.

As mentioned, I found adding XPSDR to NDX2 added little when using an 82 (precursor to 282 and equally forward and vigorous). Others clearly have different experiences of that combo.

Swapping from that 82 to my 52 didn’t make things ‘laid back’, but did add detail, delicacy and air. It also meant that the XPSDR could be heard by several listeners (including my old ears) to bring worthwhile benefits and only benefits to my NDX2.

The result is that my strongest recommendation is not for XPSDR, for NDX2 or for 52/ 252. Instead it is simply to try listening without prejudice on your own room and system and to make up your own mind. My answers may well not be your answers, and that doesn’t make any of us daft, deaf, deceived or delusional.

5 Likes

I hope I didn’t give that impression.

1 Like