Your best “sounding” album?

Hi all

Just interested in creating a thread that we could all be involved in similar to the what music are you listening to thread but with a significant difference…

Sound quality.

Not necessarily what you like listening to but albums you feel have been fantastically mastered and recorded and truly sound amazing on your system.

I certainly have stumbled on a couple that just seem to sound so open and dynamic and truly amazing on my system. The first one is…

And it’s only a 16bit 44.1 KHz album on Qobuz!

13 Likes

Sting - 10 summoners tales for me

1 Like

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room.

On those days when I think something is wrong with my system or my ears, this is the album I play to check the system and tune my ears in. So far the problem has always been a dodgy recording, but it’s good to have an album like this for reassurance.

Tracks 2 and 3 are the ones I use.

24 Likes

For testing system changes I usually fall back on Soul’s Core by Shawn Mullins which is beautifully recorded

3 Likes

Chris — Christine and the Queens

2 Likes

Primal Scream - The Original Memphis Recordings.

Tom Dowd’s production on this album is immaculate, and the intro to “Free” is probably the best recorded drum sound I’ve heard.

Real “in the studio” sound, with the band and backing singers individually distinguishable.

Top sound!

19 Likes

Totally agree with your assessment of ‘Free’. Every dealership I have used that track in, has added it to their demo list.

Good call!

3 Likes

This… :smiley:

21 Likes

Keb’ Mo’ - Keb’ Mo’

Years ago, during a Naim evening at a local dealers, I asked them to play the track “Am I Wrong” from this album.

Hard, driving blues, with just one guy and an acoustic guitar, but it seemed to cut through the endless Pink Floyd, and was requested several times during the evening.

I’ve used it often, when assessing other folks’ systems.

22 Likes

here’s mine… :wink:

6 Likes

Thanks @anon29651526
I think this is a nice thread. I’m not a classical music fan per-se but I’d like to hear some well recorded classical music.

1 Like

you can start here: Mozart is easy going.

1 Like

Perfect thanks. Just added it via Roon/Tidal

1 Like

No audiophile special. Bog standard Decca. Fabulous sound.

6 Likes

For me , interpretations always beat the recording quality ( if I had to choose)

1 Like

I recently bought two new re-release Souxsie and the Banshees albums that have been missing from my vinyl collection forever. Great quality pressings and crystal clear sound quality.

2 Likes

Maybe you should rename it - Girl in the room .

3 Likes

Still working through my collection after DAC and speaker cable upgrade, but this just was a real wow moment. Eric Bibb - Blues people

Folder

6 Likes

I’d have to say Moon Safari by Air . A brilliant and superbly recorded Album IMO. A couple of tracks from which I always play when trying new things.

19 Likes

One of my best sounding albums

7 Likes