Your best “sounding” album?

Just tried a few tracks of his. Brilliant thanks.

Anything by Public Service Broadcasting is mastered really well IMO. Live they are even better.

6 Likes

7 Likes

On vinyl, I agree with the nomination for Primal Scream’s “The Memphis Recordings”.
Other favourite recordings for content as well as SQ are Talking Heads “The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads”, the recent Speakers Corner release of Carly Simon’s “No Secrets”, last year’s 1/2 speed remaster of Prefab Sprout’s “Steve McQueen” and Keith Richard’s " Talk Is Cheap".
On CD, Nils Lofgren’s “Acoustic Live” is pretty amazing.

1 Like

Which ones, label, pressing plant, speed?:sunglasses:

Karen Souza essentials. It sounds amazing!

5 Likes

Doesn’t take much effort to hear how it didn’t work out.

2 Likes

Not heard this before. Thank you.

Can I put forward two!

Bob Dylan’s Oh Mercy album, produced by Daniel Lanois.

What Was It You Wanted, apart from being a great song, is a terrific recording. The harmonica floats across the top. Good driving bass, plenty of dynamic range and lots to listen to.

Eric Bibb Spirit and the Blues is a fantastic album and recording.

6 Likes

Kaleidoscope and Peepshow. Both very good value atm on the River. 2018 UMC-Polydore releases at 33.33RPM. Original inner repo but the record is in a decent poly liner as well. Just added Tinderbox. At under £14 why not!

1 Like

Thanks, Mark. I saw them at the Brixton Academy circa 88’ promoting Peepshow but never bought the album. There are some great songs there , in particular The Last Beat of My Heart, and the vinyl sounds tempting. Thanks again.

Love the sound of this CD, John Hammond’s take on a selection of Tom Waits songs, wish it was available on vinyl.

4 Likes

Agree, great sounding album and cover… :grinning:

2 Likes

Lofgren
Nils Lofgren; Live
Top album with fantastic sound

19 Likes

One of the loveliest recordings ever - remarkably over 60 years old. And a performance that remains up there among the very best. Here are two fabulous LP versions;

10 Likes

Girl In Motion is fantastic on this LP

Not my favorite Metallica album, but their black album is one of the best sounding productions i know:

8 Likes

How about Kieth don’t go, Nils Lofgren.

Great guitar, specially the beginning.

5 Likes

Agreed, its a fantastic album, sadly has become somewhat overplayed at Hi-Fi shows over the last few years - especially Keith Don’t Go.

The whole album is fantastic, my favourites though are Little On Up and Black Books.

2 Likes

I find it very hard to think of one ‘best’ sounding album, but here are a few which I think are pretty good. Note some of the albums refer to a specific mastering where there is a particular mastering which sounds better.

• Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
  • Marillion - Holidays In Eden (original mastering)
  • Marillion - Brave (original mastering)
  • Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (Remaster)
  • Chris Jones - Roadhouses And Automobiles
  • Chris Jones - Moonstruck
  • Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter
  • Robbie Robertson - Storyville
  • Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadeliphia
  • Eleanor McEvoy - Yola
  • Hanne Boel - Outtakes
  • Boris Blank/Malia - Convergence
  • The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
  • Peter Gabriel - IV
6 Likes