Your best “sounding” album?

One of the best sounding albums is Julienne Taylor - Live at the Lyric.
The favorite track (soundwise) is Hard to Say I’m Sorry (Chicago cover). Lovely deep bass at 1:30.

4 Likes

Love this track - heard it on The Sopranos soundtrack. Fabulous guitar solo.

2 Likes

Back in the 1980s I sidled into a demo given by Absolute Sounds at the Hammersmith Audio show London. There was a box of LPs Ricardo was using to show off his expensive gear and I took the opportunity to quietly look through the albums. Playing through the Audio Research or Krells (or what ever they were) were the tracks “Amazon” and “When Sly calls” from the Michael Franks Passion Fruit album. They’ve been my go-to tracks when reviewing gear ever since.Michael Franks

2 Likes

It’s a great record. Not just SQ-wise.

1 Like

One of my favourite albums. Very well recorded and incredibly atmospheric. Rapidly becoming one of my test tracks.

4 Likes

Alison Moyet : Alf

4 Likes

Without a doubt Steven Wilson - Home Invasion LIVE at Royal Albert Hall… also remastered albums from many artists, go to #burning shed…plus anything he has remastered tends be an improvement on original

5 Likes

Never considered the Banshees albums to be crystal clear recordings. A Kiss in a Dreamhouse has been permanent fixture in my top ten albums for nearly 40 years what I love is the feel of it’s archaic sounds as if it’s from another period of time. I do remember Superstition being well produced.

I am taking some serious notes from this thread! Good Saturday morning activity… Qobuz is getting a hammering!

I’d add Dire Straits: Telegraph Road to the album list. Telegraph Road and Private Investigations in particular. Some spine tingle moments for me…

18 Likes

This week this is the album for me;

3 Likes

The Steven Wilson remix of this sounds fabulous and the whole package is excellent too.

7 Likes

I would have to go with an album I just finished playing…

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue

This is a fantastic album with fabulous SQ!

Patricia Barber (piano, vocals), Michael Arnopol (bass), John McLean (guitar), Mark Walker (drums, percussion) and Maya Angelou (spoken word).

16 Likes

Interesting. I tried his TAAB and thought it awful. If it ain’t broke…

G

5 Likes

Forget Steve Wilson, I wanna know if you’ve built that Spit!
If so, pics!

Here’s mine, hand-built by a guy who used to service them in the Far East during WWII:

4 Likes

I’ve a near relative who built and flies a real one.

G

3 Likes

Just beautiful :heart_eyes:

1 Like

5 Likes

Agreed, just stuck it on and first 30sec of the first track you can tell it’s very well recorded and mastered!

Got goosebumps with this one and laughing with certain parts, it’s that good.

Great shout Seakayaker! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

2nd’d , outstanding, clarity, definition, soundstage, … and superb music

8 Likes

Analogue productions 45rpm

Jaw dropping.

7 Likes