Janis Joplin

Aretha Franklin

Ami Winehouse

Sandy Denny

Kate Bush

Natasha Atlas

Mazzy Star

2 Likes

This is her first mention. You’re her first (well after John)

I’ve been playing Katie Melua quite a lot recently and particularly her version of Diamonds Are Forever. I don’t recall what made me search for it, but it’s just so beautifully sung in such a simple arrangement.

1 Like

I’ll vote for Agnes Obel as well.
Ane Brun’s new album is very good too.
Has anyone mentioned Chelsea Wolfe for some Doom Folk.

3 Likes

Rhiannon Giddens - I’ve mentioned her earlier in this thread, but she’s so good, especially live (remember that?), that I thought she deserves more attention. Do give her a listen, amazing voice.

Job well done and no doubt (and that’s not a vote for the group) took some effort, pleased to see Tori rank so highly, hadn’t seen her get much of a mention on this forum which always surprised me.

1 Like

Surprised Lisa Hannigan didn’t get more mentions.

It’s interesting how many people are surprised that their favourite is missing. I think this article is a helpful way to mention those, as some other readers of this topic do look them up, and may be enlightened

1 Like

Agree, equally think it is good to reassess some who may have been big in their day but dropped from view more recently, just took delivery of Sade’s This Far collection and its stunning. The bands popularity led to a backlash, as well as being a hi-fi demo favourite, but listen to some of the lesser known pieces from their tracks and its hard not to be impressed with her vocals and the musicianship on display.

Two that don’t seem to have been mentioned:

Sophie Zelmani
Calabria Foti

1 Like

A few current favourites::

Amanda Parsons
Annie Haslam
Cara Dillon (hearing her sing live at the Union Chapel is spellbinding)
Carmel (McCourt)
Cass Elliott
Flora Purim
Joan Armatrading
Julie Fowlis
KT Tunstall (great live performer - really knows how to do a concert)
Madeleine Peyroux
Tracey Thorn
Yola (only heard a few tracks, but impressed)

1 Like

Never heard of London Grammar. Listened to both of their albums yesterday. Terrific recommendation. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Welcome! Glad others can enjoy! New album coming out soon too.

Try Oh Wonder. Also pretty good. And the intro tune to a well known ish TV series…

What a terrific thread and inspiration to play new discoveries and rediscover old favourites. Most of mine have already been mentioned, often multiple times.

Unless I have overlooked them somewhere in the thread, I would add these ladies, who don’t seem to have been mentioned yet:

Kim and Kelley Deal of The Breeders
Diana Ross (& The Supremes)
Holly Golightly
Patti Smith
Marianne Faithful
Courtney Love of Hole
Hildegard Knef
Nancy Sinatra
June Carter

3 Likes

Christine Perfect later Christine MacVie.
Chicken Shack and Fleetwood Mac:

2 Likes

Hunger the 15th album release form American folk singer Janis Ian:

Lately I’ve mostly been favouring Eva Cassidy, Karen Carpenter and The Judds (with a bit of Kate Bush and Judie Tzuke thrown in for good measure.

This could be a long list but some of my favs (not in any order)

Richie Lee Jones
Lucinda Williams
Beth Orton
Kasey Chambers
Aretha Franklin
Emmylou Harris

3 Likes

First Aid Kit
Beth Hart
Katzenjammer
Lana Del Ray
Poppy