Your Currently Played Favourite Female Vocalist or Group

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned. One glaring omission imo is Karen Dalton.
Check out the album In My Own Time.

Dionne, Flora mentioned once, Dusty twice so far. Yours will be added

Definitely not I’m afraid. I think they already dominate the Forum, so don’t need my help. Also I have used this Topic to find many more artists that I hadn’t heard of, and now loving. I wouldn’t get that same enjoyment from men personally. Feel free!

2 Likes

Nice choice. For me you can pick anything from her first few albums, then it drops off a bit for her later stuff. I find the later stuff a little too over produced. I know she was a perfectionist which probably explains it, but I like the more raw early stuff. I also have a very generic view that most artists write their best stuff when they are around 17 - I’m sure others will disagree and have many valid examples where that is not the case and I’m sure I would agree - so just a general rule for me that works more time than not.

Of course, I was only kidding.

1 Like

C’mon! Peggy Lee!

4 Likes

Well you are the first to mention her - so lets see if anyone backs you up

Most been mentioned before …

Mary Black
Sandy Denny
Eva Cassidy
Janis Joplin

although not seen

Nicolette Larson
Melanie [very very underrated]
Aoife Scott

Didn’t recognise the name, but just Spotfied her, and surprised not mentioned before

Not sure if any of the following have had a mention so far:
Anna von Hausswolff
Luisa Sobral
Karine Polwart
China Forbes and Storm Large (both sing with Pink Martini)
Caro Emerald

1 Like

Monty.

Sorry but can’t find a Monty female singer - got more details Mike?

Montserrat Caballe.

4 Likes

Well I’m probably a bit mad for doing this, but spent a few hours today adding in the Country Origin for each artists, to see how our tastes span the globe. It helped me also to find a few more duplicates, but it was tedious and I did regret starting it half way through - but of course I had to finish it.

USA 237
UK 193
Canada 38
Ireland 15
Norway 6
New Zealand 5
Denmark 5
Canadian-American 5
Finland 4
Netherlands 4
Iceland 3
France 3
Irish 3
Brazil-USA 2
UK-USA 2
Australia 2

I’ll include the Country on the next full update. No doubt when it is released, I’m sure you may spot one or two errors, but hopefully not.

I did come across the following that I couldn’t find. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Brazilian
Jessie
Karnataka
Litanies
Lucille
Victory
Vodka Snowballs

3 Likes

Just to add to your pain, at 236, Fairport Convention. My mind immediately thinks Sandy Denny, but there was also Julie Dyble.
At 292, Stone The Crows, Maggie Bell.
At 363 Chicken Shack, Christine Perfect.

I guess there is no way of telling which one the person meant on this, so will leave it. I have updated the others, thanks.

@Gadgetman

From the list of unknowns

Litanies (Of Satan = Diamanda Galas)?

Vodka Snowballs? Yum! A Snowball without two fingers of ‘little water’ is just not

Karnataka sounds familiar, but that’s all I got :man_shrugging:

1 Like

But bear in mind that Christine Perfect (Chicken Shack) and Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac) are one and the same person.

Joan Osbourne

'nough said. Wonderful. Worth exploring for those that haven’t.

and another for your Sunday morning delectation. This is a wonderful album.

I had hesitated before posting the response, it is very easy to be on the outside. I admire what you are doing and understand the commitment needed.
I guess people read things in different ways. I took the thread title to mean female vocalist or female group hence my list including Margo Timmins as an individual rather than the group The Cowboy Junkies. It’s just my way of thinking, The Shangri-Las, The Supremes, Lady Maisery are to me female groups.
So apologies to all and best wishes for your endeavour.