Your Most Interesting Live Album

Being someone who is particularly passionate about live albums, I’m interested in hearing about other people’s interesting and unusual albums. I’ll start…

One of my favourite albums is Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club in Hamburg. The energy and rawness is brilliant. To my mind it is similar in feel and atmosphere to Ac/Dc If you want blood… You can feel where the energy of rock and roll came from. It’s well worth a listen…

10 Likes

Not many bands have a live album as their first. Trouble with 9 Below Zero is the studio albums that followed sounded rather sterile by comparison.

8 Likes

Perfect! Thanks… not got that one… :sunglasses:

i have number of live albums , the very obvious trick is to combine decent sound quality with the sense that you are in the auditorium . So this is one of my most often played CDs

3 Likes

The best

The runner up

Most fun

3 Likes

That has to be The Doors’ ‘Absolutely Live’, surely?

2 Likes

Seeing Joan above reminded me of this. Sound quality is outstanding I think.

Can be found (on Qobuz) as part of this 3 album set. Album 1 from the set, ‘Recently’ also has wonderful SQ

2 Likes

Just acquired this a few weeks ago, really loves this​:heart_eyes::+1:

3 Likes

Great Music Question!
One of about 5 Top Shelf Live albums (imo), Richard (can’t post the short form lol!) Wagner and Steve Hunter are Amazing with their guitar skills, especially in Intro/Sweet Jane & Rock n Roll songs

14 Likes

I’ve been cleaning my vinyl, and played this gem after getting to the end of the B’s. Gosh, brings back memories, it was well played in my teens:

IMG_1489

I’ve done the D’s now, so need to revisit:

5 Likes

Posted before to say with his other live release Lou Reed Live culled from the same show at Academy of Music in New York City you can with a bit of track rearrangement constructive the complete concert.

10 Likes

Generally can’t stand live albums but hats off for Jerry and Misty. Great records both. I’ll add this into the mix. You get a sense they’d have ripped his clothes off given half a chance and he never sounded so raw again.

James Brown would be the other obvious one.

First person to mention the exceedingly dull Nils Lofgren Acoustic Live should be removed from the forum :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Backed by most of “The Nashville Teens”, a great local live band when I was in my early teens!

I was at the following night’s gig May 27 1966, it was the first gig I’d attended where the audience objected to the music and some walked out, I levitated along the Cromwell Road on the way home!

This is also fun:

4 Likes

Ceromonies by the Nephs is a favourite of mine… given the paucity of new material by them, they have been playing the same set for decades now :joy:

3 Likes

Like guns’n’roses. Basically the best tribute band ever now… grrr

1 Like

IMG_0971

6 Likes

I have ordered the LP of that concert.

That album Is so good. Mind you I’ve been a Nephilim fan since the 80s. Elizium alternates between my number 1 and 2 favourite albums of all time

3 Likes

On it! That looks a good one…