Your Most Interesting Live Album

Elizium is a favourite also, I prefer the Harmonica Man disc out of the two of Ceromonies as I like the tracks more on that but any show which opens with Shroud is a laugh since it allows Carl to get his metal detecting out of the way early :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

10 Likes

I don’t if it’s the most interesting but this is a phenomenal album.
IMG_3224

6 Likes

Love this one. Interesting in as much as there seems to be some issues around what’s live and what’s dubbed. Can’t think of another album where the crowd noise is so loud it’s like a band member. Great band.

4 Likes

Was my favourite in the 80s and one of the few live albums I still play. For example, even though I was at Wembley for Live Magic, the album doesn’t really represent the experience. So I just have to go and watch lots of live music!

4 Likes

Even the Made in Japan cover photo oozes excitement.
Brilliant album

4 Likes

I’m surprised this hasn’t appeared yet. It was the first live rock album recorded on 16 track. The band had to lug an early Ampex machine to various difficult venues to record a number of nights. The SQ is stunningly good - not just for 1969 - and I think the reason for that was in part because they had not only been recording themselves for some time, but had also tried to maximise their performance sound. Their emphasis on concert sound was largely driven by a desire to hear each other playing - a difficult task in the late 6os, especially as bands were playing very loud to achieve a visceral effect. And remember that the Beatles got fed up with playing live in part because they couldn’t hear themselves. Apart from the SQ the music on the first two sides is unlike anything else performed by a rock band.

Live/Dead is best heard on the original UK pressing (apparently) - it was remixed later and doesn’t sound quite right to me.

11 Likes

The version of Highway Star epitomises for me the difference between studio and live albums. So many 70s/80s rock live recordings were so much better than their studio versions… (in my opinion)

6 Likes

Yes AndyP, as you have shared that with me before and it was much appreciated!

1 Like

You just mentioned it here Mike. Richard……:laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Albert King recorded live for a radio show. Blues guitar by two of the finest ever, and lovely inter-song chat.

5 Likes

It would be great if they put it all together as an official release - it would be a cracking live album.

1 Like

I bought the Lofgren Acoustic album on the strength of all the forum plays and comments. It is “fairly ordinary” imho.

The late Isaac Guillory. My wife bought this at the concert hall ( Malvern Winter Gardens I think) when Guillory was opening for someone else. Before my wife and I got together, late 80s I guess.

This is acoustic blues/folk and he was an incredible player.

“As a performer he was dedicated to sharing his gift with both audience and fellow musicians, and as a teacher he never hesitated to share in a manner that others could understand. Guillory lectured at the Guildhall School of Music in London. He also wrote The Guitar Hand Book with friend, Ralph Denyer, which became the foundation for the BBC series Rockschool” . WIKI.

PS. Another vote for 9 Below Zero.

4 Likes

Big fan here - they were a regular at my local venue the Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone around the 80’s.

I love the studio album Third Degree when they were top of their game. The reissue was packaged with the original plodding Glyn Johns mix - well Simon Boswell’s mix that was issued certainly packed a punch.

Dennis Greaves was a brilliant front man and guitarist and with Mark Feltham on harmonica. I remember them doing the track Sugarbeat (And Rhythm Sweet) live with full strobe lights - what a live act.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Another obvious omission.

12 Likes

This one from Tom McRae I enjoy mainly for his interactions with the audience, it captures the sense of camaraderie his gigs engender.

1 Like

Carolyne Mas – Mas Hysteria

Carolyne Mas was one of those late 70’s New York artists that could have been a household name but…

This live album is on fire - the track Sitting in the Dark is just amazing and the crowd love it.

Only 6 tracks issued from the concert (I think the full list is available on her wesite) but what a setlist.

2 Likes

It’s from the Rainbow theatre… not Japan…!