Your Most Played Album?

Again, purchased on initial release when I was at University on vinyl.

A couple of interesting tracks, but with no disrespect it really did little for me then or subsequently.

Maybe one of those on the list of great album I really should revisit with a more open mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

In my experience, if you don’t find anything you enjoy in the first three or four plays, then you are never likely to do so.

3 Likes

This is ultimately the biggest benefit of streaming services, allowing you to audition ‘on the cheap’ before committing.

2 Likes

I’m with you. I found/find this massively overrated, to say nothing of Paul Simon ignoring the apartheid boycott (if that mattered to people here as much as it did to me).

1 Like

One of my ‘all time’ favourites
Terry Riley A Rainbow In Curved Air

No pic, sorry, as I’m sitting in the kitchen with a last cup of tea and cigarette before bed.

5 Likes

Yes, I didn’t like it to start with. One day I played it and it just clicked with me - fantastic.

I really enjoy the album and I think the inclusion of so many African musicians did its best to highlight the apartheid issues by just producing music. It also introduced a lot of people to those musicians, many wouldn’t have had got that kind of exposure.

3 Likes

Superbly well recorded are you sure you havent got too much taste?

1 Like

It is rather good, a mature artist’s work .

A couple of years ago there was a young lady busking in the high street of the nearby small country town , the song was Diamonds and Rust - I gave her a fiver

I am in no way going to disagree with anyones choice of music. But for myself having all Pink Floyds albums both Amused to Death and Final Cut were the self indulgent rubbish you often get at the end of a bands reign - both out of step deaththrows for the PF. - and went in the bin!
Having said that i heartily disagree with anyones choce of music that does not agree with mine regardless of what i said at the start!

Amused to Death wasn’t or isn’t a Pink Floyd album.

And some PF fans say Amused to death isn’t either!

I think with the two albums I cited as most played, it is Roger Waters’ background and resultant views, seemingly aligned close to mine, that makes them stand out for me.

I have and like all PF studio albums, apart from Endless river which felt like a collection of out-takes that would have been better left as that. Their music changed significantly over time, but unlike many bands that start off good, with maximum creativity in the first album or two then decline, I felt PF’s development went through three particular peaks somewhat different in style, all of which I particularly like, but almost like different bands: Atom heart mother & Meddle one peak, the next DSOTM, and then The Wall & Final cut. That you only appreciated their earlier stuff is your loss in my view.

True enough, Pete. And that is what Paul Simon claimed. But it always made me uncomfortable that he would decide unilaterally to ignore the international cultural boycott.

Flied Egg - Dr Siegel’s Fried Egg Shooting Machine (1972) :jp:

This is a ray of sunshine, sunny side up :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

A band I left off my list, but really shouldn’t have…

CAN.

Particular albums, very often played:
Tago Mago
Ege Bamyasi
Future Days

I could on, but I’d have to list pretty much their whole discography.

2 Likes

I found it majored on rhythms and not melodies. Didn’t do much for me.

1 Like

Timeless and wonderful.

8 Likes

Rush - Moving Pictures. I’ve now got 6 copies on vinyl, three on CD and waiting for the 40th Anniversary Vinyl Super Deluxe and Deluxe editions

7 Likes

So which one of the 9 albums is your most played?

1 Like